How to enforce proper HLR of imported parts in drawings?

Hello,

I don´t know if this has been an issue here before:

is there a way to enforce correct HLR in drawings of assemblies containing imported parts (STEP, IGES)?

Like threads some of the imported parts shine through anything else in magenta ... one can place a thread onto a layer and exclude it from display, but imports?

Esp. when it comes to show imported parts in a BOM?

Btw., I´m on a late V2001 (2005 - no WFx).

TIA

Walther

Reply to
Walther Mathieu

I don´t know if this has been an issue here before:

is there a way to enforce correct HLR in drawings of assemblies containing imported parts (STEP, IGES)?

Like threads some of the imported parts shine through anything else in magenta ... one can place a thread onto a layer and exclude it from display, but imports?

Esp. when it comes to show imported parts in a BOM?

Btw., I´m on a late V2001 (2005 - no WFx).

Only way I know of is to import them as solids or solidify/thicken afterwards. There are HLR functions for threads, curves and solid pipe centers, but, AFAIK, none of these achieves what you're talking about. I've had similar problems with unmerged, unsolidified import geometry that I never found a better way to deal with than making a thin protrusion out of it (purple goes away).

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hi David,

thanks for your quick response!

In the meantime, I found out how to avoid the worst behaviour (ugly purple lines not included in HLR) of the imported geometry.

The trick is (if this is of interest to anyone):

Views - Disp Mode - View Disp - (select/return) - no hidden - Qlt HLR.

"Qlt HLR" apparently means "Quilt Hidden Line Removal".

However, it does not cooperate with views containing sections. Sigh.

Only some time ago I learned what a traditional "quilt" is (Wikipedia): some patchwork carpet artfully home-made during endless winter evenings, also useful in some ancient customs of bride-capture eventually ;-)

Pro/E´s german menu translation gives no hint about that, it´s simply "include" or "exclude" and does not reveal what is actually meant. Again (obviously) neither the english menus nor the german translation were supplied by people with sufficient engineering knowledge.

Too bad no one ever had the idea to let menu texts be user edited.

Walther

Reply to
Walther Mathieu

If you are not yet aware of it; might look at dtl option show_quilts_in_total_xsecs (default = no).

To show a quilt 'properly' in a section view you will also have to pick the appropriate option (in XSEC OPTS; i.e. Model & Qlts) WHEN THE XSEC IS CREATED. I don't think you can Redefine afterward.

(No Hatch will be created for sectioned quilts, even closed shells.)

Going back to ... > is there a way to enforce correct HLR in drawings > of assemblies containing imported parts (STEP, IGES)? ... I'm wondering if you are familiar with Import Feature Feature Properties and Join Surfs / Make Solid, etc.? Talking in terms of line color (purple, magenta, yellow, blue, whatever) might leave room for miscommunication. It probably doesn't matter a lot in context of this discussion (except for tangent edge visibility?) but I'm wondering if it's not possible / practical for you to create 'solid' objects from the imports rather than having to work with surfs / quilts.

And ... > Esp. when it comes to show imported parts in a BOM? ... leaves me lost. Are you working with a multi body part representation of an assembly?

Reply to
Jeff Howard

[...]

Ahhh, Pro/e finally gets a Pro/WIKI module in place of the super lame, unhelpful "Help" files! Great idea, let's get it on the agenda of Pro/SUCKER (oops, I really meant Pro/SUER {SEWER? SEUER? REUSER? WERSE? RUKSEC? USERK? KREUSC?} something.) Anyway, Wiki forever! Let's get (it) down (on paper)! Right on (time)!

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes