SW 2004 and NOVELL

We are running a novell network and solidworks 2004. I have some complaints of slowwwwwww operation on 1 machine while others complain about random locking of files that are not being used by others.

Any help would be appreciated. Steve

Reply to
Steve Davis

I've seen some really bad slowdowns since installing the latest Novell version, especially right clicking and opening dialouge boxes takes for ever. We're just about to change to a MS server now and I'm really curious about seeing what the differance will be. I think the latest novell client which worked well was 4.81 or something like that The only thing I can say about random locking is that there is a limit in Novell...telling how many files can be open at the same time..if You open for example a big assy and this value is excceded the exceeding files will be supressed......this limit is adjustable and it's only to increase that value. Don't now where and how to do it though. Try to do a google search for novell in this ng.....there are some stuff to read

Krister L

Reply to
Krister L

Reply to
kellnerp

If anything, change to a linux server.

Samba runs rings around MS for file serving speeds.

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

Yes Nick

I've heard about it ...but unfortunately I'm not in position to choose ....I just have to follow the other. We have no people here with enough knowledge or interest in supporting a server like that. We are depending on other companies in order to have our server running and supported. My "department" with SW is just one small part of the office and as I'm alone here I'm a minority group

Krister L

Reply to
Krister L

Steve, We have been running Novel for sometime. It appears to be great for the IS departments with all kind of cool tools, but from my perspective, it does nothing good with Solidworks. We have your slowww operation and wierd file locking and occasionally the file not saved so we can do a save as a different name then save as againg to original name and it works. Or even better, one user we have can hit save, gets the hour glass then can go back to work but unfortunately it saves nothing, but just doesn't tell you. We have been watching the server when this happens and the server never receives any request to save or any file.

We run W2k on most of our machines and have these problems, our one Win XP machine does not have any of the file access issues. Then Novel sites does mention a known problem with file access speed with Novel/Win2k but that is only where the Novel/Windows/Solidworks finger pointing begins.

Based on our one data point of a Win XP machine I would suggest using XP if you are not now. We have to convince our IS corp dept to switch. I hope it will be soon.

Are you using Win 2k or something else. (I just had given up my Win NT which didn't have the slowness problem that the win2k folks had complained about for months).

Reply to
Bryan Player