Pdmworks and a Novell server??

Hi, I am trying to install pdmworks on my machine (XPPro, Windows and Novell networked) which is connected to a Novell server (small business suite 5.1), My VAR has never come across this before! I would like to store the vault on the Novell server, but can not find a way to do this. I am installing the stand alone client, Solidworks client addin, vaultadmin and the vault, (not the vault with advanced server). The Novell server has 3 volumes with one called "data" and I want to put the vault into this volume. This volume is mapped as drive "H" on my machine. I have full access rights to this server. I would like to do this because this is where we keep all of our "data" and the Novell server is backed up every night automatically. Does anyone know how to do this? Step by step instructions would be very helpful. Thanks Pete

Reply to
Priorclavepetef

I know this doesn't answer your question but good luck. Novell alone has a terrible time keeping track of files on it's own and adding a PDM package to it to me seems to be an oxymoron.

I guess to answer your question no I have not run into this before and I at one time worked at a VAR as well.

Ken

Reply to
CSWP

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Priorclavepetef) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m05.aol.com:

Pete:

The PDMW vault application can only be installed on a Windows machine. The vault service cannot be run from a Novell server. The vault data, however can be put on a Novell box. When you install just install the executables on a Windows box and the vault data on the Novell box. Officially, SW doesn't support this (or anything else on non-Windows OS for that matter), but technically it should work. The server service must be run by an account that has write priviledges to the Novell drive.

matt.

Reply to
matt

We have experience in doing exactly what you are looking for, and it took us time to get there, but since then everything is working OK.

We are running the PDMWorks service on Win2k Pro ? SP3, and Novell-5 Server is used to store the vault.

  1. Y =ou must use the "Novell" client to access the server, don't use the Microsoft client. (we use Novell client ver.: 4.83 with IP only configuration not IPX)

  1. The name of the PC (PDMWorks service machine) and the user name must be different.

  2. Go to your registry and define the full UNC path to your folder. ([HKLM] |software\DesignSource\PDMWorks\server\ - root Path = \Novell Server Name\volume\dir. name)

  1. Go to PDMWorks Service and define the service to run with credentials of the user that have a the full access to this net folder.

  2. Restart your PDMWorks service machine (the service should restart even without login-in on this machine; you can get access to the PDMWorks from any PC on the net).

  1. If you try to get access to the PDMWorks admin. or SW Client on this PDMWorks server you should type "localhost" (Vault Computer: xxx), but from any other PC just type the name of the PDMWorks server.

If you have more questions give me your direct mail and I will try to help you.

Reply to
Baruch