SWX Properties Ver 2.2.2

Well after many sleepless nights and with the help of My NG friends in the US, the next version of SWX Properties Ver 2.2.2 is now ready to be picked up by anyone who wants it. The link is somewhere down below.

This FREE program (with absolutely no strings attached electronic or otherwise) is for modifying, Summary, Custom or Configuration Specific Properties. It works on Parts, Assemblies and Drawings. At the moment there is no help file, that will follow later. It's a suck it and see program, which I hope users will find helpful.

I usually have this program in my Quick Launch toolbar, but you can put it wherever you like. It runs independently of SolidWorks so it will stay active until you close the program.

There are no hidden traps, pitfalls, tricks or anything else that will cause grief to the user. The only thing the program will do to your system, is to save a couple of keys in the registry. These are only the location of the Solidworks program and the users language, for populating data in a combo box. This will slow the program start for the first time the program is run.

I must acknowledge the help from regulars in this Newsgroup, Wayne Tiffany, Bob Brilbrey and of course the host of the OKSWUG (the Oklahoma SolidWorks User Group) website, Craig Milligan who has kindly posted the program on their website.

have a look around but don't forget to get the program in the Review section. These dedicated diehard SolidWorkers have been testing, and unfortunately finding things that any mere mortal would never dream of, thanks guys.

-- Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

Look like you made some nice changes. I will give it a try. Do you have a changelog?

Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Geling

Unfortunately I have been making changes from suggestions from my collaborators and occasional other users. I do have a doc file from Wayne, but is has lots of answers appended as we corresponded. Maybe I should have logged all the changes.... but that is too much like hard work and I never seem to have enough time.

-- T> > Well after many sleepless nights and with the help of My NG friends in the

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

Would it be an idea to move this project to sourceforge? and make it gpl or similair and open source. Others could participate in the project.

I have a similair idea but instead of vb I would like to use Python.

Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Geling

I am not familiar with sourceforge, I have just had a look and will delve deeper later.

Maybe I am being a bit selfish, but I have toyed with the idea of a SWX properties program for a long time and wanted to do it myself. All the code is available via SWX API, VB help and MSDN, so there is nothing mysterious about it. It is just a matter of tying it all together and designing the best way to present it.

The other issue, is that if it was open source and I only did a bit, it would not help me learn. It's like life in general, if there is no challenge or goal, it is much harder to learn.

My collaborators, have not had access to the source code, they have dug deeply into the program and found areas that could be improved or corrected. As is normal with anything being developed, the creator sometime cannot see the faults, so there service is/was invaluable.

-- Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

Tony, Just a question from an ignorant, non-professional programmer to a real, professional one: Why do many programs use the registry for configuration data like this? Why not just use an *.inf file instead? This would keep the registry much smaller and less cluttered. And it would make it easier to uninstall something.

I don't want to criticize you, I am just curious about the reasons programs put stuff in the registry. There probably are some very good ones I am just not aware of.

IMO, the registry is only necessary to properly associate files and actions with the proper program; to make windows 'aware' of that program.

Also, I find it absolutely ridiculous that programs do not erase all of their own registry entries when they are uninstalled. If I uninstall something, I want every trace of it gone. Yet, the way it is now, the registry is almost never cleared and it just keeps getting larger and larger.

Enough of my OT Rant...

Reply to
Arlin

Tony can answer in his own words after he gets up, but generally the reason to use the registry is because it's a consistent place for programs of all sizes & types to place and look for information. Yes, .inf files are valuable and simple, but if you want to interface with some other program, or use a .dll file that is common with 20 other programs, the registry is the common meeting place.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I think, initially, the best reason to store user-individual application data in the registry was to provide users with "roaming profiles" a way to store and retrieve their settings. This was recommended by Microsoft several years back. But Microsoft realized meanwhile that the registry bloats up (and fragments on disk btw.), and now recommends to store larger amounts of application data indeed on a file which is then placed into i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\Profiles\User Name\Application Data\Application Name.

Thilo

PS .inf is usually an install script, .ini would be the proper extension for such things.

Reply to
Thilo Trautwein

As linux can show you a registry is not necessary even when common libraries are used. But MS had/has not descent version labeling system for dll. It will have it in the future and also the registry won't be the recommened place to keep al your settings.

Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Geling

That makes some sense. One key phrase here is 'user-specific application data.'

Here is how an ignorant computer user like me sees the situation:

User specific application data should be stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Profiles\User Name\Application Data\Application Name.

Application specific application data should be stored in the application directory.

OS aware stuff like shell extensions, shared dll usage, and file associations should be stored in the Registry (or some central database for the OS).

Obviously, MS has altered their own recommendations, which has caused even more confusion on how to use the registry. I realize this is not a simple issue. I just wish it was more consistent/reliable.

Reply to
Arlin

"Arlin" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@News.CIS.DFN.DE...

Like Thilo said, the main reason I see to store things to registry is for users, who jump between several computers and want to have the same settings at all places, even if the software is installed locally. Another reason maybe: it's very simple. There is a VB/VBA command SaveSettings and another ReadSettings, and you're done ;-)

On the other hand, to have many users use the SAME settings a INI file in the install directory is the better choice; as an example I use both methods for my batch print and convert tool PAC4SWX (

), you can save the settings for the active user in the registry and store and load all settings from INI-files.

There is a simple reason for NOT deleting the settings stored in the regsitry or custom INI-files: the user may come back after de-installing a version! If I get an new version of a freeware or shareware tool (or even pro software like SolidWorks) I first de-install the old version (like SolidWorks 2004 Pre 2) and then install the new version. If the software also wipes the settings I have to do it all over again.

But I agree with you, perfect software should give you at least an option to COMPLETELY uninstall including all settings and registry entries.

Bye, Stefan

Reply to
Stefan Berlitz

Thankyou Tony, and to those who assisted, great stuff, this makes up for the infamous underarm bowl incident.......hmmm well almost....cheers from across the pond : )

Reply to
neil

I'd certainly like to try this, but all I get is "Runtime error 76. Path not found" Any special config information needed?

Art Woodbury

Reply to
Art Woodbury

It sounds like you don't have the latest version - I think that's the problem we just fixed. Since it appears that Craig doesn't have the latest copy posted, I just sent it to you. It also appears that he moved the original review, so his link doesn't work any more.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Okay, due to technical difficulties, the version you may have gotten is older than the best so far, which is 2.2.2....

I made the fix to the website, so when you click the link, you get the proper file. If you want it, you can get it from this page...

Sorry for the problems. I'm sure Wayne will scold me for it. Tony doesn't know yet, because he probably hasn't waken up yet....

Reply to
Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Alas, you have been found out. I am awake as it is 4pm and I am soon to go home. Thanks for putting the latest version on. Tony

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

Hi Arlin My reason for using the registry was purely to avoid having an attached txt or ini file just for a couple of entries. I agree that this could be untidy on removing the program, I do have a hidden button to clear the registry and will look at providing for everyone.

The use of the registry in this case, would be for all users of the PC, the data is saved specifically under the "SWX Properties" Key. If I used a file for holding the info, I would have to find a common location for the file, so that all users could access it.

This program was designed with minimal VB controls to keep it's size down, in fact I could have made it better using some of the controls in VB, but then I would have to have an install program and it would save a lot more to your PC.

-- Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

Thanks, Wayne. The new version works fine!

AW

Reply to
Art Woodbury