How many seats has SWX sold?

Do any of you know where to get statistics on how many seats of SWX have been sold? Just curious to know the market share that the different solid modelers have.

Reply to
Mickey Reilley

Check this out:

interesting discussion on the politics of releasing such numbers and what they actually do, or don't mean.

Reply to
Arlin

oh yes, and to get the general gist and flow of the discussion, read the article from bottom to top...

Reply to
Arlin

Yep,.. "There are lies, then there are damn lies",.. and by golly, Ade$k marketing is good at it.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Don't sell yourself short.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

One trick AutoDesk has used is to combine Inventor and Mechanical Desktop together into the their new series. Even if MDT users are not using Inventor, they are counted as a user because they have the software. I'm from the MDT world and when looking at the next modeler to use, Solidworks was hands down the leader for how my company's engineering department designs products (via configurations). I was not fooled by the numbers and looked at each software's capabilities.

Keith Streich

Reply to
Keith Streich

It woks in both directions though. There are plenty of Soldworks seats out there that aren't being used, and plenty of Inventor seats not being used. Another factor to look at is educational seats. All companies will include educational seats in their total, but if you look closely you'll see the educational count.

Autodesk released the following press release about a month ago: Autodesk, Inc. (NASDAQ: ADSK), the world's leading design software and digital content company, today announced a milestone in the success of its Autodesk Inventor® and Autodesk Inventor® Series software, as the company reached a total installed base of 258,463 licenses sold?102,371 commercial and 156,092 educational licenses?since the software was introduced less than four years ago.

Solidworks released the following press release in June: CONCORD, Mass., June 23, 2003 ? SolidWorks today continued its dominance of the three dimensional (3D) mechanical design market when it announced it has shipped 250,000 licenses of its flagship software since 1995.

Reply to
hoser_71

This is exactly what I'm after. My brother works for a PTC reseller and is constantly badgering me on why I'm not using Pro/E. Well, I reply, I used Pro/E for two years at my last job along with Pro/Intralink and my department's productivity went down 50% from where we were with Mechanical Desktop. He loves to spew the same jargon and BS our PTC salesmen did. I just wanted some BS to spew back at him such as these sales figures.

I plan on having myself a very merry Christmas. Hope you have one too.

Reply to
Mickey Reilley