PDMWorks 2007

Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, SW Corp, in their infinite stupidity, decides to eliminate the PDMWorks Workgroup standalone client app. HUGE MISTAKE!

PDMWorks is now Integrated into SW Explorer. What a colossal ABORTION! To start with, the installation on the server side doesn't take into account your previous installation folder when you upgrade and manages to recreate the performance issues due to the MFC4.2 files. One would think that at this stage SW could actually build a setup for this that actually worked properly if they read their own technical bulletins. They integrate MS Desktop search for no logical reason at all. It is a solution in search of a problem.

This wouldn't be so bad if SW actually provided a usable interface. They actually spent time on a God awful skinned interface that looks childish. They didn't put any effort into functionality that would actually help end users. The API hasn't been updated at all as far as client functions are concerned.

One of the MAJOR screwups is that the local file view does NOT refresh when a document is checked in and deleted from the local view. You still can't check in more than one document at a time. This makes absolutely no sense.

If you select a project in the vault view and then move to the local view, PDMWorks doesn't remember the project you selected.

PDMWorks 2006 had it's problems on the client side but it worked. We now have an "enhanced" application that is a HUGE step backwards.

It's pretty clear to me that SW Corp views PDMWorks as a red-headed step child. They put very little effort into the product and it shows.

Reply to
Tim Markoski

Sounds like PDMW is "Vista ready" now :-)

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

A couple more gems from this newly "enhanced" version.

The upper right pane of SW Explorer does NOT allow ANY PDMWorks functionality to be accessed via right-click. All you get is "Locate in Vault Tree" or "Locate in Local Tree" . Yet another completely useless function. You should be able to at least Check in or Check out documents from the upper right pane.

eDrawings is now the default Viewer for PDMWorks. The problem is that it defaults to the animated mode with no way to change it.

Reply to
Tim Markoski

It appears that the eDrawings problem is only when running Windows 64.

Reply to
Tim Markoski

Nope, it also does that in the 32-bit version. I've already brought it up with SolidWorks.

Reply to
SteveO