[HELP] PDMWorks very poor performance

Hi All,

I have very bad performance on a PDMWorks install ! If I archive part or little sub-assembly, it's ok, if it's bigger sub-assembly or main assembly it's very very poor performance !

PDMWorks running until 7 hours (!) without results or crash.

It's installed on a Win2000 Server, client are in Win XP Pro SP1 PDMWorks is in SP4.1. The network is 1Gbit between server and switch,

100Mbit between switch and client.

Options "structure validation" and "tree rebuild" are not selected in Vaultadmin

Installation was made without anti-virus

I have now ~6000 components in vault, it's not complicated geometry !

Many thanks for your help !

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Rubin

Nicolas,

Where are you seeing a performance slowdown?

I recently encountered a PDMWorks check-in performance problem that was due to McAfee V8 anti-virus software. Installing "Patch 10" McAfee solved the issue.

Best regards,

John

Reply to
John Picinich

I'm no expert but you probably shouldn't have 6000 parts in the vault. PDMWorks is pretty basic software and the more files in the vault the slower it runs. If you're working on projects with that many parts, or that many concurrent projects, perhaps you should look into higher level PDM/PLM software.

Reply to
Anonymous

That's not true at all. 6000 parts is easily in range. I could accept this statement if you said that you shouldn't try to check in a 6000 part assembly all in one go. I've seen problems with that for sure.

I personally have built a 51 Gb PDMW vault, and it worked surprisingly quickly on a 3+ year old server. I don't know how many files were in it, but I'm quite sure it was more than 6000. 6000 parts would make the average doc size 8.5 Mb, which is much larger than these files were, average size was probably less than a meg, so it might be reasonable to guess that this vault had on the order of 50,000 docs, or 6000 docs with

8 revisions each.

Based on the original post, I would first check network or antivirus problems. Antivirus slows down all file transfers when it is running. Turning it off when installing is just to get a clean install. If it is set to scan all files coming in or out, it's going to slow you down big time.

matt

Reply to
matt

Where are you seeing a performance slowdown?

I recently encountered a PDMWorks check-in performance problem that was due to McAfee V8 anti-virus software. Installing "Patch 10" McAfee solved the issue.

Best regards,

John

Reply to
pete

I'm sure Matts ardent reply in support of PDMworks has nothing to do with the fact that he advises people to buy PDMWorks. I also sure your IT manager will be very happy with you switching off your antivirus software..

Reply to
george

And you're the fellow who shills for DBWorks. Whatever. I don't sell any software.

Switching off antivirus works for a quick test to see if it really is affecting PDMW file transfer speed. A more permanent solution would be to tell your AV not to scan SW files.

Reply to
matt

Many thanks John !!

It was exactly the anti-virus problem you describe ! Now all is working..

Best regards

Nicolas

pete wrote:

Reply to