PDMWorks 2005 problem - have you seen this?

We just upgraded to 2005, including our PDMWorks. Everything is going splendidly, excpet for one thing. A user is trying to check an assembly into
the vault, and gets the following error message:
Unable to write custom properties to the file "5003338-011.SLDPRT. Please make sure that the file is not being used by another program.
Well, it's certainly not being used by another program, so we used SolidWorks Rx (wayyy cool by the way) to isolate the problem. Using the option to "turn off" options/settings, the assembly easily checked in to the vault. Next, we experimented with settings in SolidWorks, and tracked it to the system option "Search file locatons for external references". If the option is checked, PDMWorks check-in fails. If the option is not checked, all is right with the world. This happens on everyone's machines.
Dell Precision 2.6Ghz 1GB RAM Some have Win2K, others have WinXP (SP2) (SP2 is NOT the problem - this happens in Win2K as well)
I know, I know...Doc, it hurts when I do this. Doc: Well, don't do that.
SolidWorks is aware of our issue, and they have agreed (insisted actually) to look at our vault data. But, I would like to ask if anyone else has seen this problem, or would you be willing to try to replicate it.
Thanks,
Richard Doyle
Richard,
There's someone named Ed Ortiz in the SolidWorks Discussion Forum that's having the exact same problem. Look in the PDM/Works section.
Dave H
Richard Doyle wrote:

Dave, I work with Ed, and I've been tasked with correcting the problem. SolidWorks is on top of it, but so far we seem to be the only folks in the land with the problem. I'm just fishing to see if anyone else had seen it.
Richard

into
Please
the
checked,
actually)
seen
Richard,
Just out of curiosity, is your vault locked down. Is it visible to SW users? And is the vault on a logical drive that also contains non-vaulted SW files and that is listed in the Reference files settings?

Richard:
What directory is your Tools, Options, File Locations, Referenced Documents pointing to? Network? Read only? Does removing a path from the list allow it to check in even with the "Search File Locations" turned on?
Does the 5003338-011.SLDPRT file have external references, or is there anything of note about it? (in context, mirrored, base part,etc.)
How is the Tools, Options, External References, Load Referenced Documents setting set?
Is that part from a library folder (designated on the Toolbox tab)?
Do you have any macro features in any parts?
What kind of machine/OS is the server running on?
I'm definitely interested in this issue. Please keep us updated.
matt

Matt (and P), This issue started after we upgraded to 2005. Nothing unusual about the upgrade, followed all of the instructions, didn't change any permissions, the vault is visible and accessible to all. Strangly enough, we can check-in individual parts (from the same assembly) without a glitch.
See my other answers below.
Richard