Network specifications

Our network admin is speculating that the network may be causing some of the crashes we've been experiencing in SolidWorks. The program quits and the error reads:

"SolidWorks had terminated due to an unhandled error. Please contact your local SolidWorks support representative for help in troubleshooting this problem. Subscription service customers can also find additional troubleshooting and support resources at

" Does anyone have information about SolidWorks network specifications/recommendations or know of network issues that could be causing this problem? We are running NT4sp6 and Novell 4.1 (in ipx mode). The admin knows that tcp and ipx are not completely compatible but can't upgrade to a single server os at this time.

Steve

Reply to
skrug

Run ping from each machine to every other one it needs to communicate with. Watch for failed packets. A bad connection/connector/cable/network adaptor could be the problem. Also check (on MS platforms) ipconfig and net view. You may also wish to review the contents of your hosts files.

Reply to
Cliff

I think SW prefers MicroSoft for everything from OS to networks. There are some comments on Novell on the SW website, but they are usually of a negative nature, as in, you can use Novell at your own risk. One thing is pretty certain, when SW tests it will be on a MicroSoft network.

It helps to have SW users on their own network. It helps to use switches instead of hubs. It helps to have 100baseT instead of 10baseT and fiberoptic is even better.

Make sure users are not writing journal files to network locations.

When are you getting this error, whilst loading the documents to or from the server or when using a document on you local machine? If you get this message whilst using the documents on your local machine, then the fault is not with the network, but is a built-in function of solidworks, lol. Sorry SW, but I get that message at least once a day.SW2004 sp4.1, 2 new machines, XP Pro SP1, Compaq P4 2.8, 1Gb ddr ram, 120Gb Sata, Nvidia 980 XGL, 1Gb network to another identical new XP pro Machine with 2x 120Gb Sata raid 1 and PDMWorks on it. I have tried totally reinstalling everything and still get the messages. As I said built-in function, :-)

Reply to
pete

Just click on that link SW gives you, it should have all the troubleshooting info necessary to solve your problem.........

Reply to
Mike Z.

We've been getting on average about once a day seemingly randomly. I've documented it with one part open or multiple parts, other programs running or only SolidWorks, and on various hardware. Since switching to 05 I've found it happens often when dimensioning holes in a drawing (I'm about to post another message to see if anyone has encountered this). Our admin has not been able to find fault in our PCs and thought it might be network related. From past experience I tend to think it's a "built-in function" but always hope I'm wrong.

Steve

Reply to
skrug