Network Connections

I am wondering how everybody else connects vertical and horizontal mills to computer networks. Let me explain. We have a network run by Windows Small Business Server 2003. On the network is 7 vertical mills, 1 horizontal mill and about 20 computers. Currently, all the users and machines in the company need to log onto the domain when there shift starts. But, we just got the horizontal CNC (HAAS) and I have found that it only connects to computers that are part of workgroups, not domains. Well, our entire network is on a domain so I had to put an extra computer next to the CNC that was part of a domain so the CNC could use it as a "server". Then the domain computers have to connect to it to transfer files. It seems like a waste, but I can't figure out any other way to do this. Should I put all of the CNC's on a workgroup? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike Lambert

"Mike Lambert" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Create a V-LAN for the machines (Virtual LAN). This does two things, it gets the machines off the main network, and you can set it up as whatever domain you want, or that works with your machines.

Reply to
Anthony

Anthony,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with a virtual LAN. I understand a LAN is a local area network like we have now. But, how does the virtual part fit in? Does the virtual LAN get a separate set of IP addresses? Is it better to have CNC's on a domain or workgroups? Any more help or even a link with more info would be great. My boss is on my butt since he doesn't think it is set up the best way.

Thanks again!! Mike

Reply to
Mike Lambert

"Mike Lambert" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

It is a on a separate set of IP's, and for all intents and purposes, is a separate network from the current one. It can be a workgroup, or separate domain. I'll have to get more specific info from one of our IT guys, as I haven't set one up, but we use them at work to keep equipment and other things, (like the automated downtime collection system), from the normal traffic. I'm sure it wouldn't be very difficult to set one up though.

Reply to
Anthony