W2000 Network Addressing to PLCs

Hello,

I'm planning to connect a W2000 PC to an industrial PLC network (Allen Bradley) for the first time and would like it to work :-). We will be communicating between our VB program, a Kepware Server and the PLCs. Just have 3 questions:

Info received from plant for the W2000 node: IP Address:

172.16.206.156, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0, Getway: 172.16.206.11.

Question 1: Shouldn't the subnet mask be 255.255.0.0 or can it be

255.255.255.0? Question 2: Do I need an address for a DNS? Question 3? What about the domain name - is it necessary?

In other words, can I just enter the three numbers above and the network will recognize me without concern for DNS, domain name, etc.

Many thanks!

Ernie Adsett AMT Inc.

Reply to
Ernie Adsett

If the person in the plant responsible for the network is telling you to set the IP , Default Gateway, and the Sub Net Mask to the numbers that he gave you, that's what I would do if you want it to work. As far as the sub net mask being 255.255.0.0 for a 172.16.x.x net working, that is the default mask but that can be customized. A

255.255.255.0 subnet mask on a 172.16.x.x network would give you more Network ID's with fewer computers on each of them. And last an ip of 172.16.x.x is a private ip address that is not usable on the internet, so I don't think you need to worry about a DOMAIN NAME or DNS, unless they are using it on there own private network and if they are the plant computer guy would have told you an DNS address.
Reply to
Gino

Thanks, Gino. You've been a good help - will be giving it a go tomorrow.

Ernie

G>If the person in the plant responsible for the network is telling you to set

Reply to
Ernie Adsett

Just the question do 172.16.206.11 is local IP ( after some firewall / NAT ) or that ip in internet ? did ping -a 172.16.206.11 show really that one ? Arkady

Reply to
Arkady Frenkel

Under RFC #1918 the IP range 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 is a private address range set aside by the Internet group IANA. They will not work on the internet.

Reply to
Gino