DBs with PLCs?

Anyone recommend a good quick-n-easy solution for getting PLCs to interact with databases? Access or SQL server preferred.

I don't know a lot about database programming so it would be great if there was some kind of solution where I can just drag-n-drop stuff around and bam I got databases working with PLCs. Preferably freeware because my budget's kinda tight.

Thanks for your time, Harvey

Reply to
I'll tell you later

The cheap way requires more work and a learning curve. You can talk to both your PLC(s), other devices and you database through VB, VC++, C++ and other basic software, which is what SCADA packages like CIMplicity, Wonderware and others are based. SCADA packages like CIMplicity start at less than $500, are easy to use, but add up with I/O count and device driver add on. Packages like CIMplicity Plant addition include some drivers, VB scripting and event driven VB scripting w/ extensions for the package like reading and writing to PLC registers or points. With the SCADA you also get easy GUI interface HMI screen design.

Spec out your system needs WELL and then have vendors quote for solutions. Important is what brand of PLC and/or other devices you have or plan to have. Best if most items and SCADA SW are compatible. GE and AB are the most likely to offer the widest complete coverage.

Reply to
mindspringnews

There was a product that I think was called the Data Wedge and would interface from anything to a database. You may want to do some searches on that???

Reply to
Zman

I dont know what PLC your using but there's a database product called dataworx plc pro for AutomationDirect PLCs. The catch is that the PLC needs an ECOM module plus you would have to do some ladder logic programming to make this work.

I think you can get a demo of this at

hope that helps

Reply to
Tyson

i dont know about you but i hate vb scripting. fortunately there's this neat product i've been trying out, dataworx plc pro, that allows you do stuff with automationdirect plcs. the only catch is that you need an ECOM module for the PLC and you do need to do some ladder logic programming but that's cakewalk for me. I'm great in the PLC world but I suck in PCs ;)

Anyway, this product is at

Tyson

Reply to
Tyson

It's $800 a copy and only works with one each of one brand of PLC.

You get so much more with a $500 SCADA software package, and no PLC logic programming.

Reply to
mindspringnews