Re: cost to certify - Easy Solution.

The other threads concerning the new certification proposal have

> degenerated, so I thought I would put forward my view on the > "one-time" certification cost. > > Currently, a person can join NAR for a year for $62.00 ($12.00 for > other family members). As a member, you can try for certification > L1, L2 and L3 as many times as needed during that year (at no extra cost) > My proposal is that this DOES NOT CHANGE. I am simply asking that > the certification, once gained, holds until DEATH. This is perfectly > consistent with NFPA, indeed it is not clear to me that NAR has the > authority to actually remove a certification, once granted. But according > to NAR (and TRA) a person automatically becomes uncertified 365 days > after membership ceases. I simply want this rule to change. > > What continuing costs are their for NAR? NONE. They have my name > and address in their database, they have me checked as a LX flyer, > they have me checked as a current member or not. They simply don't > delete names of expired members who have achieved a certification. > > I have asked that certified flyers receive a card showing certification > without an expiration date. That is the only new cost that I can think > of. (I'll pay $5 for such a card). Any vendor who wants to know my > certification simply needs to see that card. Easy. > > As for those already certified, it seems that it would be easy to offer > this card to all those in exchange for some old membership card showing > their certification level. Ie, everyone who has ever achieved L1 should > be given an L1 for life card (for $5 or $10, say). What LX flyer would > NOT want to have their certification made permanent??? I suspect all > LX flyers would think this is a good thing. (I strongly suspect the > vast majority of them think this is the case already). > > Note, this is a FANTASTIC recruitment device. Contacting expired LX > flyers and saying "come on back, you need not jump through silly > hoops anymore", sounds like a GREAT way to get expired people interested > in rocketry again and thus possibly wanting to join NAR to get their > great magazine and take part in their many flying events. > > There is no liability issue. None! Since a person is a member while > trying to cert, they are covered by the _secondary_ insurance of NAR. > A non-member does not have the _secondary_ insurance that NAR offers > to members. This is the same as now, ie, non-members NOW are certified > for 365 days after their membership expires. > > To me this is so mind-boggling simple. I do not know why everyone > is making it so complicated. I am also interested if there are any > lurkers out their who would support this proposal. > > Take care, > > Ferrell Wheeler > Sunderland, MD

There is a very simple solution to this dilemma. Make your own motors. Fly at another launch besided TRA/NAR. Done. No questions. No dilemma.

Example? the FIT JAMSTAR project.....flown out of the everglades....TRA/NAR had nothing to do with it. Not a cert motor in sight.

To me this SOLUTION is mind-boggling simple.

-Darren

Reply to
Darren Wright