NAR requirements

There's been some discussion on the list lately about what one can/can't do at either NAR or TRA launches. It was pointed out, for example, that NAR should have full control over an NAR launch (no dispute there). And in discussions about motor certifications, such as the about-to-expire A10-0T from Estes, I've seen discussions where it was stated that the expiration only meant that you couldn't use these motors at an NAR-sanctioned launch. In other words, you could go out into the desert to use them, etc.

Now, I just received my NAR renewal, and noticed that they require a signature on the renewal form, and it is right below the line that says "I pledge to conduct all my sport rocketry activities in compliance with the NAR Safety Code".

This brings several questions to mind, such as, if I launch an A10-0T at Lucerne at a non-NAR launch, could I be 'reported' to NAR for not following the code? Since NAR does not 'recognize' EX or AM rocketry, if someone is an NAR member but participates in an EX or AM launch, are they violating the 'pledge', and thus subject to removal?

I'd appreciate clarification from anyone who might have run into this before.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Precisely. This is directly related to the same lie (knowingly false) NAR President Mark Bundick says about motors outside of NAR launches which are uncertified being legal from an rmr post, yet the NAR website says and I quote, "State and federal law require all rocket engines to be independently tested before they may be sold in the United States."

It is what I was ACTUALLY removed for.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hmmm... it does say 'sport rocketry activities". Using non-certified motors at a non-NAR launch would be "amateur rocketry activities", rather than "sport rocketry activities"...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

amateur may be sport:

Main Entry: 1sport Pronunciation: 'spOrt, 'sport Function: verb Etymology: Middle English, to divert, disport, short for disporten Date: 15th century intransitive senses

1 a : to amuse oneself : FROLIC b : to engage in a sport 2 a : to mock or ridicule something b : to speak or act in jest : TRIFLE 3 [2sport] : to deviate or vary abruptly from type (as by bud variation) : MUTATE transitive senses 1 : to display or wear usually ostentatiously : BOAST 2 [2sport] : to put forth as a sport or bud variation

Apropo version:

Main Entry: 2sport Function: noun Date: 15th century

1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in 2 a : PLEASANTRY, JEST b : often mean-spirited jesting : MOCKERY, DERISION 3 a : something tossed or driven about in or as if in play b : LAUGHINGSTOCK 4 a : SPORTSMAN b : a person considered with respect to living up to the ideals of sportsmanship c : a companionable person 5 : an individual exhibiting a sudden deviation from type beyond the normal limits of individual variation usually as a result of mutation especially of somatic tissue synonym see FUN
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Your question could be officially answered by someone on the NAR website where it lists contacts or officers, but I will take a stab at it with my own personal opinion. The NAR signature is for your NAR activities, not you NASA activities or your DoD activities or your Raytheon activities or your TRA activities, etc... The NAR corrected that problem with people involved in "Model Rocketry" as well as other areas of Rocketry. As long as you clearly stay within the NAR definitions when flying at an NAR event you are NAR OK. I wonder what would happen at a joint NAR/TRA event if a TRA-EX flight resulted in a liability claim. I would imagine that the NAR insurance co would say "nyet" to paying anything. Feel free to ask the NAR folks if you are curious. It does not apply to me so I won't.

The NAR rules are for your coverage under the NAR insurance. If you go off to Lucerne and launch A10-0T motors after December 31 you will be launching motors that still have the CSFM seal on them (or their package) and they are legal Model Rockets in CA, but you cannot use them at an NAR launch.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

That may be your opinion, but that is NOT what it says. Remember a pledge or contract contains ONLY the four corners of the document. It's the law. Annoying, eh?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'd sure like to hear the court case where you have damages as the result of a previously 'certified' motor. So you launched these uncertified motors which you bought 3 years ago? And these other motors which you bought 20 years ago and are still certified, are they safe to fly?

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Fred,

I agree that NAR officers should address this, and I'm happy to hear your responses as the RSO at the Section 430 launches (where I launch when I can). They don't surprise me, and they are the same interpretation that I 'thought' the NAR had.

However, I will again quote from the NAR renewal letter: "I pledge to conduct all my sport rocketry activities in compliance with the NAR Safety Code." Immediately below that is a signature line, and below the signature line is the statement: "Your signature is required for processing of application."

Please note that it does not say: "I pledge to conduct my NAR sport rocketry", nor does it say: "I understand that not conducting my sport rocketry by the NAR Safety Code will void my insurance", it is a straightforward pledge that the undersigned will conduct ALL sport rocketry by the NAR Safety Code. And I MUST assume that not doing so would allow the BOT of NAR to eject a member, as was done by Tripoli in the past, else such language would not be in there.

If, in fact, it is a requirement of the insurance to have some kind of acknowledgement about the NAR Safety Code, no problem! Reword it so that it covers that, and don't word it such that it locks one into ONLY following the NAR Safety Code.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

"all"

"all"

sport rocketry not defined so the most general terms are assumed.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

There are no "joint" EX launches. Of TRA and NAR, only TRA sanctions EX launches.

- JT

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

I know that. I meant that the CLUB is both an NAR and a TRA CLUB. NAR insurance covers clubs for all their sport rocketry activities (and I'm assuming that is only while you are obeying the NAR rules/limits and all applicable laws and regulations).

-Fred Shecter

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

But does it say that or does it also cover my PRS amateur rocket activities since they are sport?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Ask the person responsible for insurance.

That is not me.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117