DIY cruise missile thwarted

A New Zealand man who built a cruise missile in his garage claims the New Zealand government forced him to shut down his project after coming under pressure from the United States.

Bruce Simpson says he built the missile using parts bought off the internet to show how easily it could be done.

He says he attracted considerable interest from potential buyers - including an offer from Iran to pay him for details of his research.

"The New Zealand government at first said I had done nothing illegal. But then a US official was quoted as saying it was 'extremely unhelpful', " Mr Simpson told BBC News Online.

"The authorities here finally decided to bankrupt me over a tax debt and I have now had to give the missile to a friend for safe keeping." Although his own missile building days have come to an end, he believes he has proved his point - "that by using off-the-shelf technology in a suburban garage a terrorist can create a weapon against which there is no effective defence."

New Zealand officials have said they cannot comment for reasons of "secrecy"

Reply to
Rocky Firth

ROFL

secrecy of a PUBLIC event.

secrecy of punative selective enforcement for being very legal but somewhat "unhelpful".

USA extending the police state to NZ!

One world order indeed. Bush I uttered it. Bush II implemented it.

World human rights are dead.

Was Osama right after all?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Rocky Firth quoted:

Reply to
RayDunakin

Probably about as stupid as someone who looks at a hard exemption 27 CFR

55.141-a-8 and says, "we should overcomply", "let's ask/compel our 10 biggest vendors and dealers and 5000 members to get ATF permits, and as a consequence let's also force the non-member customers of those vendors to get them too". We'll deal with the consequences later."

5 years later . . . . Let's sue the bastards! They made us get permits for exempt motors!"

Meantime, back at the world's largest continuous non-shaapnal non-professional rocket launch at Lucerne: "don't they know they are shooting their own balls off? We do keep telling thew and even providing the solutions even by attending the very meetings where the shootings are happening. They DID listen to us about LMR and HPR to begin with. Why not now when we are more right than ever?"

End of story plucked from the headlines like feathers from a chicken :)

Just Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The guy was busted for not paying his taxes.

He's probably a flim-flam man who is using this as the reason why he cannot meet any of the claims he made (or repay his investors).

He didn't pay his taxes and got busted. Boo hoo. I don't see that as a big police state government conspiracy.

-JT

Jerry Irv>

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

Once he was "selected for enforcement" he was treated like the gangsters of the 20's and 30's. Uncatchable on real crimes so alleged for "tax fraud".

If he really owed taxes as the reason for his bust and that rose to the level of a criminal charge that would have been made independent of this missile thing. But since it was not indepent of the missile thing, it was OBVIOUSLY selective enforcement or more accurately REVENGE enforcement.

Same same.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Of course people hear 'Cruise Missile' and think rocket. He was just building a fast moving RC airplane, has this been posted to the rec.rc.air forum?

I hope this deflects some of the attention on us, but as we all know the intelligence of the public is, well, not so good.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

I wonder how many "lists" we get on just by clicking that link?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yep. In fact, real cruise missiles aren't rockets either. Some use a booster rocket at launch, but rely on jet power for the bulk of the flight.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I think that this guy was more interested in the publicity of building a cruise missile than actually building. Thus the perfect was to end it by blaming government grand conspiracy. Don

Reply to
Don Hooker

Sure, I believe that he was "selectively enforced". But so what. If you are going to push a government, they will likely push back. If you want to make an issue of something and practice some civil disobedience, then you should not break a bunch of other laws too. The guy was a tax cheat and he got busted. End of story. Next time you get busted for driving 80 on the highway (along with everyone else), try the "I was a victim of selective enforcement" defense and see how far it gets you.

-JT

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

Even better was it was true!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Are we talking about TRA and NAR again?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You can't be serious. If the tax laws are anything like ours, there is no "right answer" to "how much taxes do I owe?" Most likely you, me, and 99% of taxpayers could be accused of tax fraud if looked at the right way.

And while it's true a govenmant will push back if pissed off, that doesn't make it right - especially if the "violator" hasn't actually broken any laws, as may well be the case here.

Finally, I HAVE gotten a traffic ticket dismissed due to selective enforcement.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Put that case on the internet for others to exploit (cite).

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com:

Yes, very nifty little "single use" turbines.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

This goes back aways. 'Bout 20 years ago I was on the last stretch of Route 202 in New Jersey, just before the bridge and the Pennsylvania border. Straight run, slightly downhill, unlit - popular with stupid speeders and lazy cops.

Had a couple of cars whiz by me on the left. I have a strange habit - when I see people driving oddly, I note their license numbers, just in case. Just after these guys disappear, a police car zooms up, slows - and pulls me over.

I get a ticket for SIX miles over the limit, despite complaining she was probably looking for those other cars.

Much to my amazement, the judge agreed, after I provided the descriptions and license numbers of the cars that had passed me. So I didn't get convicted, even though I actually was speeding - because she picked on me when someone else was offending more severely.

More interesting than useful to other motorists, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

I know that stretch of the Police State.......in the last two years I haven't seen a cop, not on the side, not moving and not up on the hill with the little dirt road to access the shoulder, so we move a bit faster there, but we still keep an eye out for the traffic cops with nothing else better than to do U-turns looking for anyone over 50 (in a short section after the bridge) or 55. Glad to hear you cheated him out of a 'roadkill'. :-)

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions

"My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat; situation excellent. I shall attack."

- Marshall Ferdinand Foch (1851-1929), supreme commander of allied forces in 1918.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

For similar reasons I've been recording the time, date, location, and license numbers of COP CARS that go speeding by traffic. Unless they've got their MARS lites on, they are subject to the same traffic laws as you and I.

And on more than on occasion, I've called in and reported them for doing extremely stupid and unsafe things. Like the guy who made a U-turn and sped out into traffic in spite of oncomming rush hour traffic. No MARS lites, no nothing. Cars schreeched and swerved all over the place. I'm still surprised no one ran into any one else.

You KNOW that if you or I did that in front of a cop, we'd get a whole book full of tickets.

And I've called the number onthe back of a couple trucks, and tracked down a couple that didn't have numbers. Recently saw one try to block a guy from passing him. As far as I was concerned, it was assult with a deadly weapon. I was just laying back to make sure that if there was an accident, they weren't going to collect ME in the mess.

Bob "don't like my driving, dial 1-800-328-7448" Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD" >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I wonder if a person could make a micro cruise missile using a ducted fan jet for a model aircraft along with say a JKL to give it a boost like the real one...... shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz