Lipo Battery shelf life of unused cells

I read an article somewhere that advised against stockpiling Lipo batteries. The article compared Ni-cads which are shipped uncharged
(formed) to lipos that are partly charged when they are manufactured and are shipped that way. This partical charge starts using up the usefull shelf life or so the article stated. Is this correct or did I remember the artcle wrong?

There are some people now saying to fully charge your LiPo's before storing them for any length of time. The instructions that came with my batteries says to store them in a balanced 3.8 to 3.9 vdc per cell when not in use. This article says the same. http://www.rctoys.com/pr/2007/09/25/lithium-polymer-battery-winter-storage-lipo-care-lipoly /
The packs that I have had outlasted my NiCad packs as well as my NiMh packs using 3.85 vdc as the storage voltage. I use a vented .50 caliber ammo can to charge and store my LiPo's.
--
We have met the enemy and he is us-- Pogo

Anyolmouse
On 9/7/2010 8:20 PM, Anyolmouse wrote:

http://www.rctoys.com/pr/2007/09/25/lithium-polymer-battery-winter-storage-lipo-care-lipoly /
My limited experience has been that Lipos that were on the shelf will self discharge, sometimes to below the lower limit set by some chargers. So far, I've been able to eventually balance charge and then cycle them. I believe that this can restore them to 80% or better of original capacity.

Thanks for that infomation. The scenario that I had a question about is. If you buy a brand new Lipo and never use it just put in on the shelf will it start to deteriate in capasity.

Thanks for that information. The scenario that I had a question about is. If you buy a brand new Lipo and never use it just put in on the shelf will it start to deteriorate in capacity.
The only batteries I know of that don't start to deteriorate after being manufactured, is lead acid car batteries that were kept on the shelf dry. The acid was stored in a plastic bag in the same box in most cases. The end user poured the acid into the battery when he brought it home. Those batteries could be stored for a very, very long time.
As to the LiPo's shelf life, 2,3 maybe five years of use depending on proper charging and discharging techniques. Here is a good aticle (in PDF) about A123 cells http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/a123/123-Brief.pdf this article contains good information on LiPo as well as other battery types. http://www.fastelectrics.net/lipos.php
If you are thinking of buying a large quantity of LiPos because of a rock bottom price, and expecting to use them 2 to 3 years down the road, it probably isn't a good idea.
--
A man is known by the company he keeps- Unknown

Anyolmouse
On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:00:02 -0500, "Anyolmouse"

Try Percy French - or did he copy it in his ballad?
wrote :

Didn't find any reference to him when I did a search for the author. In a new search Wiki.Answers says Abe Lincoln uttered it. Another Wiki.answer is that in 1541 it was in olde English. In 1591 it was 'if a man can be known as nothing else, then he may be known by his companions'. In 1912 it is quoted as we know it today, by Saki, in the Chronicles of Clovis. Everything2 gives Euripides ( 480 BC - 406 BC) as using it in one of his plays. Percy French may have used it in a ballad, but he wasn't the first to use the expression.
--
A man is known by the company he keeps- Unknown

Anyolmouse

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in