Maintanence of new lipoly batteries

Hi,

I two 3S3P lipoly batteries that were purchased over a year ago. They have never been charged.

I would like to know if they need to be charged to capacity, then check them once in awhile to see if their voltage have dropped below the recommended level of 3V per cell. If so, recharge.

How do the hobby shops keep their new liploy batteries? Maybe the batteries were sold before their voltage went too low?

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

They are shipped half charged. (3.7v/cell) They still should be pretty close. LIPO self discharge is low.

The ideal for long term storage is cool, and 3.7v per cell.

The self discharge is such that batteries SHOULD do a couple of years on the shelf before getting anywhere near dangerously discharged.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Charge them to 70% capacity for storage. They WILL self discharge over time. If they go too low, they're shot!

Reply to
Jim

I am unaccustomed to the way a reply is done nowadays in this usenet.

I would better get to charging my new battteries. Thanks to Jim.

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

I prefer to post ABOVE the one I am answering. I hate the necessity to scroll down to see the person's answer to a question.

I am unaccustomed to the way a reply is done nowadays in this usenet.

I would better get to charging my new battteries. Thanks to Jim.

Wan

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
wanjung

I find the way to reply here is very confusing. I couldn't tell who I am talking to. I am trying out Jim's idea of posting above the person I'm answering, in this case Jim. But above his message is part of mine.

Yes, I went and charged up my batteries. Thanks to whoever.

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 05:11:13 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@chaosmail.com wrote in :

It does take a little while to learn how to read and write. I usually trim the posts pretty heavily so that I keep just the section I want to reply to.

In this post, your text is marked with >.

My replies are at the margin.

If you reply to this post, the markings will be:

Then your new comment.

I'm sure he knows who he is. :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

If one only posted on Usenet expecting thanks, one would be bitterly disappointed most of the time.

Same as in real life.

Once upon a time I had a GF who had a friend who was going out with a pretty old guy. I men like as old as I am now. We saw her in town and I says 'Hi Jools, how's the geriatric?' and she went ballistic,and my GF went frigid.

I forgot all about it and we didn't see Jools for a coupla months, then she comes by and makes a point of a really BIG apology (odd,cos I thought I was out of line) and says 'what you said made me think about it all, and I realised what I was getting into, and we split up'

So you never know what off the cuff pretty gross bit of honesty and humour will pay dividends, or what carefully thought of 1000 word reply that details the exact solution will get totally ignored.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Barry ===== Home page

do not represent atheists or atheism

Reply to
Barry OGrady

> Charge them to 70% capacity for storage. They WILL self discharge over >> time.

Barry ===== Home page

do not represent atheists or atheism

Reply to
Barry OGrady

It's lovely seeing someone helping someone to do usenet posting properly..post his own post twice.. ;-)

Really makes him look an authority ..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, I am trying to delete big time most of the postings and see if I may reply to the proper person. I appreciate the input by The Natural Philosopher. But Jim is trying to help me, who has been away from usnet for some time, coming back to find the format changed (for the better?) with a couple of questions.

One time I had been notified by usenet that my post was successful, but it was not posted, Then another time my same post was double posted. Probably due to my ineptness.

Still, it is confusing.

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

Sorry, it was Marty who tried to help me post. Jim helped with someting else.

Reply to
wanjung

Sure is.

Just pointing out the dangers of trying to be authoritative.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wondered why she left me..............thanks! :) mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Ah, I am beginning to get it. I click Reply to Barry and the box appears below. Thanks Barry for posting both links on how to post and posting etiquette in usenet. I have often used this method when replying to an email. That is writing between the sender's lines, but I highlight my message to make it stand out even though the > was in front of the words by the sender. Wan

Reply to
wanjung

| I am unaccustomed to the way a reply is done nowadays in this usenet.

The conventions have not changed in the last decade or two, but the number of people ignoring them (for whatever reasons) certainly has.

Ultimately, people generally top post (and quote the entire article) because they don't think it's worth their time to trim down what they're replying to. Basically, they're saying that their time is more valuable than your (the reader's) time, even though there is likely to be a lot more readers than just the one person posting it.

A very few people will top post *and* trim the article they're responding to, and this works reasonably well as long as it's all pretty small. But in the vast majority of cases, top posters don't trim. | I would better get to charging my new battteries. Thanks to Jim.

Yup.

Ultimately, LiPos degrade, whether you're using them or not. After a few years, they won't work at all, even if you've never used them before. It's best not to buy them and let them sit if you can avoid it.

Reply to
Doug McLaren