Are all truck batteries created equal?

My truck battery is dying, and I was wondering if there is such as thing as a "better battery", or are they all created the same. Thnks

Reply to
Ignoramus9135

How old is it?

John

Reply to
John

I have had good luck with Duralst and Interstate batteries. What you need to do is to measure the battery box and the clearance from the battery to the hood, then buy the largest one that will fit. You can always use extra amperage. Especially in locations that get cold!!

Reply to
Steve W.

Consumer Reports has done car battery tests forever, it seems, yes, there's a difference. But no matter which one you get, they're all boxes of chemicals that start deteriorating the minute they're put together and they all die at about 5-7 years no matter what kind of care they've had. Usually the two top brands are Interstate and Die Hard. Me, I just find out what they've got at the parts joint within walking distance...

Stan

Reply to
stans4

One of the first things I do when I pick up a used Vette as a project is throw out the battery and replace it with a gel pack. The other is to install a mechanical disconect. There is a local guy that makes a "Half-Turn" gizmo that mounts on the terminal post. That way all of the computers don't kill the battery if I don't start the car for an extended period. That used to happen when I'd leave my car at the airport for a short trip that would turn into three or four weks on the road. Nothing worse that a dead nattery at LAX after flying half the night to get home.

There are two varieties that I'm familiar with. One is a high capacity version for running electronics equipment ( big car audio amps and such) and the other is great for starting. Gel pack's last nearly forever, don't require maintanence and seem to behave well in high temp environments. That's the reason I switched. Desert temps kill batteries.

My oldest gel pack is going on 14 years and is working as well as it did the day I installed it.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

2-3 years old
Reply to
Ignoramus9135

That's a bit short, you should generally get around 5 years. You may want to check your alternator, grounds, etc. to see if there is a problem beyond the battery.

Reply to
Pete C.

I replaced one of the deep cycle gel batteries on my boat just before Christmas.

Both of them are 20 years old, but this one (due to a wiring mistake at the bilge pump switch) got pulled down to 2.4 volts.

It never came back (obviously).

I replaced it with a marine deep cycle wet cell from Wally World for $65. We'll see how that lasts...

Reply to
CaveLamb

Wow! I get about 8-10 years from Douglas or Interstate car batteries and replace them at the first indication of trouble.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

somewhere I read that if you heat up the gel cell it will melt and reform, renewing the battery. Of course 20 years is a long time for a battery.

John

Reply to
John

That's just beyond the warranty period, like all of wally-marts batteries do.

First check the voltage coming out of the alternator at a higher than idle engine rpm.

It should be no more than 14.2 volts. If it is than that is the reason the battery is failing.

John

Reply to
John

Figure five years, not more.

Reply to
Don Foreman

They certainly are not all the same.

Interstate makes good batteries.

Surprisingly enough, I was amazed at how good Ford OEM batteries were when we had Fords. I replaced them at age 8 just because I couldn't believe they'd lasted that long in MN. The replacements were still going strong when we replaced the cars at ages 14 and 15.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I've also had this kind of "luck" with DieHard batteries. The only batteries I've _ever_ had to replace have been used or off-brand, and every DieHard I've ever bought has outlived the car that I put it in and somehow parted company with.

I guess you could call this an endorsement of DieHards, but I'm not getting any kickbacks or anything. :-)

Disclaimer: these were ordinary car batteries - truck batteries might have different parameters or something.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I thought my battery was failing, as the starter would turn a little slowly when it was cold.

Then the starter went completely out. When I replaced the starter, the problem went away.

The battery is still past it's warranty period, but it's an Interstate, and still working fine with the new starter.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

John, it is below that, I have a voltmeter on my dash.

So, what is the word on gel cell batteries?

Ignoramus14196

Gel cells have different charging requirements and will not directly interchange into an auto environment properly. Look to AGM type batteries for something compatible.

Reply to
Pete C.

I wouldn't trust an in-dash voltmeter to be that accurate.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

There may not be much warranty left, but if the store allows it, see if you can get a different brand or style covered under warranty. I've heard (but have no experience with) that the newer Optima ripple sided batteries are the sturdiest.

I'm sure you already know to buy the most cold cranking amps for the style, especially in cold country.

DO use treated felt washers under toppost terminals. Switch to toppost if you now have a sidepost battery. I saw 3x more dead sidepost batteries (back when I was wrenching) than topposts.

-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The Optimas would be one of the AGM type batteries I noted (in a spiral configuration).

Reply to
Pete C.