NC Programming

Is there a "generic" NC programming language, or does each brand of machine have its own? How hard is it to learn from scratch? Are there any resources
on-line?
Where I sit, they have a Fadal VMC 45, model #903-1, that just sits there because the only guy who knew how to program it quit. If I can find something on-line, I'd like to learn how to program the thing so that we can get some use out of it. What I normally do, when there's work, is draw pretty 3D pictures of parts with Autocad Mechanical Desktop; from that, if I understand the system, it shouldn't be too hard to make a script or whatever it's called to control the machine. I know I'd need to know about tool speeds and paths and stuff, but we have two real machinists whose brains I could pick for little details like that, and I've got nothing but time on my hands - nowadays I sweep the floors and take out the trash and clean the sinks and toilets, and they let me hang around until there's actual work.
So, is there any kind of on-line tuturial or anything where I could get started?
Thanks, Rich

RS274C
http://www.compumachine.com/Support/DL-Fadal.htm#User

I was going to reccomend the EMC site, but this one is better, and just for your machine.
Start simple. You can make damn near every part with four Gcodes: G0 G1 G2 G3 and five Mcodes M3 M4 M5 M7 M9. Learn these completely first.
From there, I used a felt tip maker as my fist tool and learned to draw on paper. Nobody will get pissed when you bust this tool learning.
There's several folks here that will love to answer your queries.
Karl
Karl Townsend wrote:

Thanks! Rich
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Thanks! Rich
wrote in message

No prob--suggest ask over at <alt.machines.cnc> if you have other questions

I'm curious, I gave up on AMC quite a while back. Not only was it 99% OT BS but the rest was guys insulting each other. Have things changed? I do remember you helping me and others out but most of the group had no use for wannabe CNC hobbyists.
Karl

The newsgroup is dead, killed by Cliff and Gunner.

Can you re-phrase that as a question please?
Someone will have the answer.
(Amongst the Noise from Cliff, and previously Gunner, and Johnnie Bonkers )
Cross-Slide wrote:

I once tried out for "Win Ben Stein's Money," and during the briefing, they said, "We give our answers in the form of an answer." ;-)
Cheers! Rich

Yonnie (bunko) bonkers is off for now. http://twitter.com/JonBanquer
The latest hoot: [ .@mastercam View Manager / WCS problems still not dealt with even after 5 releases of Mastercam X! http://bit.ly/fxrUXd ]
Clearly he still has no clues about the basics of ANY 3D system of any sort. The untrained newbie was confused about the WCS & the view. That is all.
--
Cliff

Karl Townsend wrote:

Hi, it's me; I've just started lurking, as per advice, and have been ignoring the same idiots I've been ignoring on r.c.m; so far I concur with what you've said, (I have to ignore or filter the same nincompoops), but I am starting to get a little worried about the pros disdaining hobbyists.
And this isn't for hobby machining; I'm hoping to eventually learn to do revenue-producing work, so there may be a small inner party of pros who want to shun interlopers, much like "medical transcription" or "document coding" and the like.
BTW, If you want to get some attitude from the pros, try the HVAC group! (I don't remember which hierarchy it's on, but why bother? ;-) )
Thanks! Rich
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 06:28:36 -0600, Karl Townsend

A search of the archives ....
--
Cliff

Karl Townsend wrote:

It's now down to only 98%,
John
Rich Grise wrote:

This gentleman...
http://cncmachiningblog.com/2008/12/13/heinz-r-putz-fanuc-cnc /
Offers CNC programming courses and will come out and teach. He seems to be well-respected amongst the people of Practical Machinist forums.
Jim Stewart wrote:

Thanks, but I have no money to spend on private tutoring, which is why I was looking for online freebies. Karl's suggestion of compumachine.com seems promising. :-)
Thanks! Rich
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:40:19 -0800, Rich Grise

=======One of the best things to do is sign up for a non-credit CNC class at your local community college or vo-tech. You will have someone to answer your questions, and get to practice on their machine(s).
To start try http://www.fadalcnc.com/page.cfm/fadal_machine_documentation http://cncmachiningzone.org /
You can also download a cnc simulator/editor for free at http://www.cncsimulator.com/ Not all Fanuc codes/syntax are supported (default is ISO), but its much cheaper to simulate a crash than have a real one while learning.
While more of a reference book than a self paced tutorial, the Smid book is a good investment, and the book does include exercises/solutions on the included CD. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
You may find the following sites of help/interest http://www.machinetoolhelp.com/Learn/Reviews/Bookreview.html http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCResourcesInd.htm http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?tE471
Good luck, and be sure to let the group know how you make out.
-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).