Programming language for AI

Hi, my name is John Ohno and with the help of my friends I have created a programming language designed to simplify common AI programming tasks. The interpreter is written in Java, and therefore is useful for cross-platform usability. I thought you guys might be interested, because it's proved quite useful so far (see the example code for examples of how this is true). Link:

the language in the revision is a little obscure, but I'm willing to personally help anyone who wishes to learn and has trouble understanding the revision (within reason; I can't help all of usenet :P). If you're interested, please post your comments, as I have an upcoming project relating Erc (the programming language) and Majic (the interpreter) in the realm of robotics and autonomous AI systems (possibly with embedded stuff too). ~John Ohno

Reply to
unknown user

You might garner interest and reduce potential help requests by providing some simple examples or small tutorial on your website. Documentation (or the lack thereof) can often make or break novel software. You'd be surprised how far a useful demonstration can go.

Reply to
Chris S.

He has some examples. They don't have any comments, though. Here's some of his code.

John Nagle

; loops ;;

op while { op loop { [ 1 ] ; cond ( ? [ 0 ] ) { { } -> loop ; } }

cond ( ? [ 0 ] ) { { } -> loop ;

} }

op for { [ 3 ] ; [ 2 ] ; cond ( ? [ 1 ] ) { { } -> loop ; } }

[ 0 ] ; cond ( ? [ 1 ] ) { { } -> loop ; }

op for-each { element i { '1 } ; whole "! { [ i ] = #e }" { [ i ] -> [ 0 ] ; i + '1 -> i ; } }

Reply to
John Nagle

That's indeed ARTIFICIAL. but INTELLIGENT ?? ;-) ;-)

Stef Mientki

Reply to
Stef Mientki

Unless you have unravelled the mysteries of intelligence, then you are unable to say that any language that you have created aids AI programming.

Perhaps it is that you have merely created a language to suit your own particular personal foibles (and there's no harm in that)?

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

FORTH by any other ruse would stink as badly.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

I made a language that would be good for solving standard AI problems, such as logical parsers and neural nets. I don't claim to have created AI. Also, there is commented code in the langparse.zip file in the erc-examples package (in case any one cares to look), and the revision, though obscurely worded, should still be understandable to those with a background in computer science (namely lisp, object orientation, and formal mathematics/general CS studies).

Reply to
unknown user

I usually don't feed the trolls, but I am particulary sick of this particular bridge dweller.

Instead of slinging feces in areas where you do not have any real experience, why don't you go to the dentist, fix that filty set of teeth, move out of your parents basement, and get a real career.

Any language is useful if one person is able to understand it, take advantage of it, and contribute to society. BASIC, FORTH, C, C++ what ever.

Seriously dude, I know you're too obtuse to get this, and I am just feeding the carrion loving slug that you are, but the only redeeming quality you seem to posess is the diversity of groups you choose to pollute with your presence.

Instead, get a geocities website, build up the ultimate manifesto that details every aspect of your life that you choose to sling our way, and let us find it insted of spewing it at us. I am sure you will develop your own flock of Airy R. Bean worshipers.

As for me, I have wasted too much of my life on this post. I am proud however to contribute this post to the Usenet legacy. Perhaps one day, my great grandchildren will find it.

At least I managed to procreate.

Dan, this > FORTH by any other ruse would stink as badly.

Reply to
infinite.patience

Heh. I suppose this group isn't interested in my language. I'll take it elsewhere. I was just trying to help, anyway.

Reply to
unknown user

Unless you have fathomed out the mysteries of intelligence, then you are not in a position to claim that your language would be good for solving AI problems.

Logical parsing is not something that requires intelligence, only logic.

Your final comment seems to bear a parallel with those who produce the most appalling creations in the name of art, and then go on to claim that only those who have been trained in art will be able to understand the work of the new "artists".

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

'bean is not the group.

It is hard to filter through everything there to find out what it is about.

Mike

Reply to
blueeyedpop

Unless you have downloaded his language and have actually looked at it, then you're in even LESS of a position to state that it is not good for solving AI problems.

| Logical parsing is not something that requires intelligence, only | logic.

Logical parsing is something required to produce AI, which is what the OP intended his language to be used for when he created it.

| Your final comment seems to bear a parallel with those who | produce the most appalling creations in the name of art, and then | go on to claim that only those who have been trained in art will | be able to understand the work of the new "artists".

Your final comment seems to bear a parallel with those who are too lazy to contribute anything worthwhile to society themselves, and then go on to critisize other people's creations based solely on opinion.

Reply to
mark thomas

Try writing some common algorithms in your language, and put them in the examples. Then we can tell if they look better in your language than in existing languages.

Try something small, well known, but non-trivial. Matrix inversion. Boyer-Moore string search. Neural net back-propagation. Regular expression parsing. Moravec certainty grids. GJK convex distance. Those are all important algorithms with implementations easily available for comparison.

John Nagle Animats

Reply to
John Nagle

I think it is very interesting, but right now you have little to no documenttion on what one is supposed to do with it. Do you have a tutorial someplace? Your example looks interesting, but there aren't any comments. How do you run it?

Reply to
Earl Bollinger

Sorry,

Didn't mean to crosspost here.

Mike

Reply to
blueeyedpop

Sorry 'bout that. The interpreter's a little buggy right now, I need to get back to debugging it (there's this one really wierd bug that I've been working on for a long time). I planned on writing a tutorial, and I started one, but I didn't get it finished. The language revision is useful, but if you're really interested in the language you can contact me and I'll help you out personally (I can do this because not very many people know it or try to learn it, so it's important to me to help it along). Also, the langparse example contains lots of comments, if you download the other example pack (under erc-examples, the langparse.zip), although it's a little strange. I also wrote a little article with examples, so I can post that somewhere if anyone's interested.

Reply to
unknown user

Hi

I followed all instructions to install. The instructions are not really suited to a beginner e.g. what does % ./configure mean? ( I assume % is command line prompt?). Just using make and make install work OK I think?

After installation, what do you do? typing majicc into command line does nothing?

Some documents are not in MS Windows format, or plain text files ( cross platform ) there is no instruction on what is needed to read them.

The language is very cryptic. From my limited programming ability, I know that a fundamental rule of programming is that code should be easily readable/understandable. I guess if you have a degree in computing science maybe you could work it all out. Otherwise, people really have better things to do with their time than try and work this stuff out.

I appreciate your efforts, but if I was developing a project, I would provide clear documentation with examples that are clearly explained before releasing something like this, and explain at what type of user this is aimed at. This would be in everyone's best interests.

Cheers

Dale

Reply to
DS

Mm, I suppose. I tried to clearly explain that Majicc does not stand alone, and that it only works along side the interpreter code, which is currently not working. If you read the news backlogs on the site or the release notes on the download page, they will tell you that. I also tried to provide clear documentation, however my efforts I suppose have failed. I do not write very clearly, though for the sake of the record I think my own writing is clear and everyone else's less so. I'm currently writing a tutorial, with clearer instructions on how to install on various systems and more hands-on, practical-usage info on how Erc code works and is written. This language is not aimed at an end-user. If anything, it's aimed at someone who has reasonable experience with programming and formal computer science, preferably with some experience in AI (this does not need to be formal, though it might help). It is also rather confusing at first to even a seasoned programmer, since the syntax is so different. I may compile a reading list for people who want to be good at Erc, since it uses such strange references. Don't be alarmed though. Although Erc is rather strange at first, once you get over that strangeness it's quite easy to code in. Anyone who wants help coding in Erc, email me or talk to me on AIM (unknown1570) or IRC (hakware on EFNet), and I'd be willing to give individual support.

Reply to
unknown user

No, you ASSUMED that everyone understands what YOU understand, without stating it.

Reply to
hamilton

If you read the news postings on the sourceforge site or the release notes for the majicc package, they will tell you that the majic libraries are necessary.

Reply to
unknown user