(Way OT) - Programming

Any IT folks out there want to help me direct my son. He's very much into computers hardware and wants more software exposure. What programming
languages are most games writen in? Are there any good tutorials out there to get a bright young man started? Thanks and sorry for taking up the band width.
Koen
Add pictures here
βœ–
Koen O. Loeven wrote:

Most games are written in C and Assembly. Some newer game programmers are using C++ to take advantage of OOP, but you need to be careful that you don't eat up a bunch of resources when you go that route. If he's new to game programming I would recommend that he try something like 3D Game Studio or Dark Basic to see what it's like. Later, he can switch to C/C++ and a Game SDK like Torque, Dark Game SDK ot 3D Game Studio SDK.
Mario "I wrote Breakout 2000 for Atari" Perdue
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hmmm... Sounds like he is ready to build a nice electronic payload for you to fly on a rocket!
Doug Pratt's CANSAT http://www.pratthobbies.com/proddetail.asp?prod ΚNSAT%2D1 can be programmed in C and BASIC. I would recommend he do stuff in C, rather than BASIC, as IMHO that is a more transferable skill.
The BeeLine transmitter http://www.bigredbee.com/BeeLine.htm is based around a PIC processor. Greg wrote his code in assembler but there are C compilers out there for the PIC.
There are other hardware packages that will let your son do some programming and give you a fun new toy too! 8)     Will
Koen O. Loeven wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L2
βœ–
Koen O. Loeven wrote:

Hi Koen, Check out
http://www.python.org
I can't think of a better way to get started. It's easy and FREE! I learned it from a book: 'Python programming for the absolute beginner' by Michael Dawson Great book in english.(I'm writing this because your name seems very dutch and if you are so is your son and it would be a lot harder for him to learn it in a foreign language). With that book he can write his own games after he has finished it. After that something like C or Assembly.
Greetings from Holland, Roland.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Koen O. Loeven wrote:

It depends on what platform the games are to be played... If it's for mobile phones etc, then JAva seems to be the way to go, at least judging by the job ads here in the UK. Other than that, everything is writen in C or C++ and uses various SDK's to do the actual leg work.
If he wants to write console games, then you cna get dev kits for things like the Playstation that mewan you can develop and test on PCs. Just check with the manufacturers.
Cheers,
--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com /
βœ–

Software development kit, a piece of software for programing languages that contain pre-written modules and libraires that save you the need to re-invent the wheel when developing software.
Damian
--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
Koen O. Loeven wrote:

I'm not in IT, but wanted to start an intro vocational type programming class at the high school. Of course, the most popular "vocational" activity was game programming. I then canvassed several CS classes at the Univ I attend and asked those guys your exact question and what they would have liked to have been exposed to in high school.
Most said the C family; C/C++. Games require speed and hardware interaction. There is a plethora of free C programming languages and development systems out there. A mature C programming system exists within the GNU/Linux OS.
The next most popular recommendation was Assembly Language for the Intel and compatible processors. Again, speed and hardware control.
Both the above require fairly motivated students with a better than average understanding of hardware and system operation, as compared, say, to a Java programmer more interested in software only. They will spend a lot of time generating fairly simplistic (boring) results. In contrast, Java or another GUI oriented system let's them generate some fairly complex and interactive programs much more rapidly.
They also said that game programming was very competitive and if the students wanted an actual job, to go with Java, etc, and learn the concepts of OOP.
--
Gary Bolles

summum jus, summa injuria est
βœ–

I am in IT and I am a vocational school teacher. 90% of the applicants say they like game programming. I like TV too. Maybe I'll be a producer ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tom Biasi wrote:

I know. But, its either that, or just let them all go on to be rock/rap stars. ;)
--
Gary Bolles

summum jus, summa injuria est
βœ–

With all the outsourcing of IT in the UK and US, is IT a career path anymore for the newer generation ?
Add pictures here
βœ–

One of the main reasons that Cisco Systems started the worldwide network of Academies was to "grow their own" IT professionals. There is just not enough skilled people and at the present growth rate of IT the gap gets wider. Tom
Add pictures here
βœ–

of
IT
I know two cisco router guys and a guy still neededing jobs, none avalible in the midwest anywhere.
Add pictures here
βœ–

There are plenty of jobs for Cisco CCNA,CCNP everywhere. CCAI writs their own ticked. Peek here once in a while: http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?op 13&FREE_TEXT=networking
Add pictures here
βœ–
I've been in the IT industry for the last several years in the midwest (since 1993 when I graduated HS, first computer was in 1982) In that time I have been everything from level 1 tech support to a Unix admin in charge of hundreds of business critical systems that require 24/7 uptime (where I am now)
In the late 90's there was a flood of people going into CS in college because it was viewed as a way to big money and tons of jobs for everyone. Once the dot-com bubble burst, the market was flooded with CS people looking for jobs. Most of the people that went into IT for the money have since left and gone after something else. The IT job market has started to right itself, but its still nowhere near where it should be.
There is a lack of jobs for someone just getting into IT as everyone is looking for multiple years of experence. There is not a lack of jobs for system admins (Server, network, etc) with a few years of experence. There is a lack of jobs for programmers since you don't have to be physically near the computers to perform the job. This is why alot of the programming jobs are being outsourced to India.
That being said, almost every progammer I know wants to write big-name games. They would LOVE to go work for EA (Eletronic Arts) That is also one of the worst jobs to have as they will work you to the bone because everyone wants to work there. One of the safest programming jobs I know of is an ABAP programmer for SAP. They are still under very high demand and are paid very well.
My advice would be to pick up C/C++ as that is a VERY good basic language and you can learn most other languages from there. Also, find a programming house near you and ask to shadow a programmer for a week. You'll get to see what kind of job programming really is. Programming isn't for everyone but programming isn't the only job within IT.
Just my $0.02 from someone that has seen both boom and bust.
-Aaron
** The views contained herein are the insane ramblings of an over-worked system administrator with little to no sleep and are not the views of management **
Add pictures here
βœ–
The analysis I've heard about goes something like this. During the tech bubble there was a great surge in IT studies at colleges. After the bubble it seems that these course and majors are greatly under-attended. So jump ahead 20 years and I'd think there'd be an upcoming shortage on locally grown IT. I may be wrong I suppose, but I think we might me ready for a renewal in demand. Finally, are US companies really pleased with the timing and quality and management headaches involved in these outsourced projects todate?
Koen
Add pictures here
βœ–
Koen O. Loeven wrote:

No, they're not. Recent industry magazines indicate that their solution is to ship the design and management of these projects overseas, too. Doesn't do much for us at home...
David Erbas-White
Add pictures here
βœ–

It saves "them" money on all those "overpriced jobs" and real estate to house and office them.
Your goal was to DECREASE the GDP and cause deflation in the job market wasn't it?
:)
βœ–

the global corporation I work for sent a couple of guys overseas to design and manage.
One of them was originally from India, and in stead of being "redundant" (loss of job) , decided to go back to India and get paid top dollar for their standard.
doesn't do much for the UK guys still on the Home Island, or us Colonials either.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Many years ago I was cornered by some kid with similar questions at a computer club meeting. I told him I though he could make a lot of money with Game Theory, but I'm sure he misunderstood me. ;)
Alan
Add pictures here
βœ–