"AI Motor" - a servo for small robots that isn't R/C servo based.

Here's something interesting: the "AI Motor".
The manual for the thing is here:
http://www.megarobotics.com/AI%20MOTOR-701_1001%20manual%20v1.03%20korean.pdf
It's a strange mixture of English and Korean. The important stuff, like the block diagrams and protocol specs, are in English, though.
This is a 4-wire device; power, ground, transmit data, and receive data. Talks to a serial port. These devices are addressable, can be daisy-chained, and talk what seems to be a reasonable binary protocol, with useful commands like "Position Set", "Position Read", and "Control Gain Set". Price about CAN$77 each.
No idea if this is a good device, but at least we're finally out of PWM servo interfaces and into a real protocol, where you can find out what the servo is doing.
                John Nagle
Found their english version;
http://www.megarobotics.com/AI%20MOTOR-701%20manual%20v1.02%20english.pdf
Here is a US dealer http://www.garage-technologies.com/AImotors.html $65 forAI Motor AI-701, 7 kg*cm stall torque and $90 forAI Motor AI-1001 10 kg*cm stall torque
Note that the Openservo project has many of the features in mind for their own work. However, the form factor and linkages for the Megarobotics put it in another category.
While I was browsing the dealer for the Megarobotics, I found another comparable product at http://www.e-clec-tech.com/robotis.html However, it was only for preorders. But, at $900 forthe complete kit with 19 servos, the servos must be cheaper than $45.
The company has a very difficult site to navigate because you are mostly presented with a list of brands, without pictures until you dig down deeper. But, they have A LOT of products.
Joe Dunfee
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Here's a humanoid robot that uses those motors:
http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~mperkows/CLASS_479/S2006/AkDong_TDP.pdf
It looks like putting legs and arms together with those units is really easy, but it's not clear how strong the links are.
                John Nagle                 Animats

Looks interesting, but it's hardly the first -- all the high-end digital servos have these sorts of features, don't they? (I haven't looked at them too closely because they're beyond my budget.)