Servo Motor Accuracy

Hi,

I don't know much about servos, so I hope this is an appropriate place to post my questions:

I am trying to find a servo motor that meets the following criteria:

- small size

- high durability

- high angular resolution

Can anyone tell me what the resolutuion of a servo motor is dependent on? Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the 'dead band width' determines the minimum incremental voltage input required to move the motor. Are there other factors?

I require a motor that will give me around 0.3deg increments of rotation. If there is such a motor, how does one determine the voltage input required for a given rotation (trial & error?)

Any input/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, J

Reply to
J5

Radio control model servos usually don't offer 0.3 degree positionabilty. Their positional feedback device is a pot, which doesn't have resolution that good. But you can easily get that with industrial servomotors and gearboxes.

Incidentally, if you're thinking laser lightshow, this is the wrong technology. Look into mirror galvos.

What are you trying to do?

John Nagle Team Overbot

J5 wrote:

Reply to
John Nagle

laser lightshow?

I'm trying to build a motorized arm that will be able to rotate into a specific position. I figure I need 0.3 degree of resolution to allow for the arm to swing approx 0.5mm at the end of a 100mm long arm.

You mention that RC servos don't offer the accuracy I require, how can I determine the accuracy of one?

Thanks for your input. J

Reply to
J5

I've connected one of the Kronos servo chips to a Tower Hobbies standard servo and have been able to get ~426 discrete position changes in ~195 deg of rotation. This was attaching a bamboo skewer to the control horn and seeing the smallest discrete repeatable movement at the skewew tip. This should equal something like .45 deg increments.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Use a stepper motor instead

Reply to