Tips for Lufkin #1671A automatic center punch?

Been looking a this thing sitting on my desk for months, meaning to see if I can find tips for it. Lufkin of course being long out of business, means trying to find something current and compatible.

My best guess is the thread is a 3-56. Tap drill for that is .082, I can get a .085 pin in, barely. 3-48 is .078 and that's way loose. Also, I can thread a 2-56 tap clear to bottom and never feel any binding from dissimilar pitch. I have a 3-48 roll tap, and it wants to start, but binds almost at once.

So, MSC lists replacement points for Starrett models 818, 18A/18AA, and

18B; General #78, 79, and one for "Made in USA".

Anyone happen to know, or can verify, if any of these have a 3-56 thread for the replaceable tip?

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I have a General #79 here, and the tip has a 3-56 thread. I also have a Starrett 18-A, and though the tip doesn't unscrew easily, it appears outwardly identical to the General. That's because when I broke the General's tip I think I replaced it with a Starrett tip.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Hey Thanks! I didn't want to order one of each and find (my luck) that none of them worked... Did you order an 18A tip for the General? I'd rather have a Starrett tip, but the General tip would work tons better than no tip at all!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I don't remember exactly, but I probably ordered what was available from McMaster or MSC with the hopes it would fit. I didn' t have the Starrett punch at the time, so couldn't have checked to see if they were interchangeable.

Reply to
Ned Simmons