Tire Bead Goop

Is the purpose of the goop they slather around the bead of a tubeless tire to lubricate during installation, to help seal the tire rim
interface, or both? I have a freebee dolly on which one of the tire has a very very slow leak at the interface. What is this goop? The local auto parts store was of no help.
Thanks
Chuck P.

You can buy it from a distributor that sells tools and supplies to tire shops. It's like a thick soap, I think the answer is both, although it certainly does not stop all leaks.
Thanks to all who replied.
Chuck P.
Pilgrim wrote:

Which goop? There are a couple. One is strictly a lube, it's basically water with some surfactant and water soluble oil. Then you have actual tire bead sealant. It is basically a thin rubber cement with carbon black as a thickening agent.
The first is used to slip the tire over the rim easier and reduce the possibility of bead damage. The second is used on pitted aluminum or steel rims to seal the pits and retain air.
If you only have a small tire then you could simply use a small amount of rubber cement around the bead. It will do the same thing as the tire sealant.
Advance, Parts Plus, NAPA all carry it.
--
Steve W.

On Sunday, 13 February 2011 22:27:25 UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:

STEVE - This was very helpful for me, here in Canada Jan 2019.
On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 4:38:00 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The tire shop used that thickened goop on the pitted aluminum wheels on my 2004 Sonata, six months ago. No leaks.
--
Ed Huntress

Generally, it's just a soapy water mix for lubing the tire onto the rim. Once it evaporates, it's gone. There is no extra sealing capability.
To seal from the inside, install some of the green slime. http://tinyurl.com/4nz5zz2
-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Second on the Slime. I've got a tubeless tire on one dolly that does exactly that, a short shot of the slime fixed it up.
I've only ever seen them use a swab with some tire soap on it when mounting my tires, comes in a bucket. Only for seating beads and keeping the rubber from tearing when stretching it over the rims. Lubricant only, no sealing properties.
Now if you've got a tube in your tire, the slime may just make a mess, you'd have to patch the tube.
Stan
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:55:08 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

The thing I can't understand, is why manufacturers insist on mounting tubeless tires on everything such as wheelbarrows, snowblowers and other low speed equipment. I can understand that tubless tires run cooler at high speed but on a wheelbarrow? snowblower? After ten years, the tires are checked and the rims are rusted, so the owner gets to install the tube that should have been there in the first place. The lawn tractor with low pressure tires does a sharp turn and catches some grass stems or twigs in the bead and developes a slow leak (I, personaly, traced this down and fixed it - the lady was using a bicycle pump every time she went to cut the grass). What is there for not installing tube type tires on low speed equipment? Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Gerald Miller wrote:

A wheelbarrow tire is one of the hardest tires to seal the bead on after it has been broken. Filling the tire with foam is one solution.
John

Just put a tube in and be done with it until the tire rots off in another 20 years. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Gerald Miller wrote:

Not around here. Cactus needles love to puncture any type of inflatable tire. :(
Teflon coated.
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 13:35:23 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

There are two completely different kinds of "tire bead goop". One is the soap or glycerine lube (RuGlyde), which has minimal sealing qualities - the other is the black latex "bead sealer" that does a reasonable job of sealing a bead if it is clean and not too badly corroded.
As for tubeless low speed tires, it all comes down to PRICE. The majority of us North Americans are notoriously CHEEP critters, and the manufacturers won;t spend a penny more than necessary to get their product out the door, and, hopefully, through warranty.
Re-seating a wheelbarrow tire is simple. Spray some butane into the tire and throw a match at it. It'll pop right on, 9.9 times out of 10.
But putting in a tube is a much better solution. A "slimed" or self sealing tube is almost a requirement in misquite or cactus country, and a kevlar liner works wonders too. Wreaks havoc with balance, so not so good on high speed tires.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Those needles would puncture large truck tires as well. Some were just shy of 2" long, and they could go through the tread or the sidewalls.
The last flat I had on a wheelbarrow had already had a tube installed, but the old tire was so dried out that I couldn't get the bad tube out. I had two bad tires on a garden cart with 3/4" hubs. I made a new 5/8" axle and slipped it into a piece of thin walled pipe to make it fit the old mounts. They wanted more for a pair of new tires than a new cart cost.
Teflon coated.
    [ ... ]

    And one style of cactus which was around where I grew up I called "watch-out cactus" because the needles had a dry husk on them, and when you pulled a needle out of self, the husk stayed around nearly forever in your skin. The husk could provide a continuing path of air through the walls of the tire and tube.
    If anyone really knows the name of that cactus (insanely branching and re-branching bits about the diameter of a pencil or a bit fatter), I would love to have identification. This was in South Texas, sort of between San Antonio and Laredo, FWIW.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

See if you recognize it here.
http://thehibbitts.net/Cactus/TXCactus/SpeciesAccounts4.html
On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 21:31:48 -0600, aasberry wrote:

DoN, among those links that I looked at, the bottom 2 pictures on <http://thehibbitts.net/Cactus/TXCactus/C.hesteri.html appear to have lots of thin branching parts. However, the range map seems to show only a small patch near Sanderson or Marathon (north of Big Bend) so there may be better matches for what you remember. Eg, range of Pencil Cactus seems to include Laredo: <http://thehibbitts.net/Cactus/TXCactus/E.poselgeri.html (but it doesn't seem to do much branching).
--
jiw

    [ ... ]

    Way too low. Think at least shoulder height, where you could accidentally brush against it if you were not observant. :-) It would go about four or five inches, then branch -- repeatedly. I don't remember the parts near the ground being fatter -- but they really must have been to support the load of all the branches.

    Nope! Not at all. and the thorns should have a length about three to four times the diameter of the stem.
    I think that I'll try to contact him, and suggest that he visit LaSalle county. It *may* be that this never develops photogenic blossoms, which seems to be the primary focus of the web site. :-) I know that *I* never saw the blossoms -- but there were times of the year when I was less likely to go into the place where I knew some were.
    O.K. I just sent him an e-mail. We'll see what comes of it.
    Thanks much,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    Hmm -- a wonderful resource, but I've checked most of them now with little luck. The closest is:
    Opuntia (Cylindropuntia) imbricata (Tree Cholla)
but the stems are too fat, and it is shown only well North of where I saw these.
    Most of the cacti on the left-hand side of the page were low balls and pincushions. This grew at least five feet high. Most of what gets near that high is the Prickley pear varieties.
    The interesting thing is that none of the photos which I noticed were taken in LaSalle County, which is where these were. An un-documented species, perhaps? (Maybe he has just not visited LaSalle County yet. :-)
    Thanks much,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote: