cruise books

do aircraft carrier cruise books have any value? it looks like a college yearbook. same sort of shit in it.

Reply to
someone

Mostly to the guys that were on the cruise, I'd wager...

...or to guys like me that may have known some of them that were. Got a compendium of cruise pics from a guy on WESTPAC that did some flying over Afghanistan with VFA-94. Whoever took the pics was not only a fighter jock, but a damn fine photographer as well...most amazing stuff are the in-flight ones...considering he was in a combat zone.

Reply to
Rufus

the one i have is uss midway 81-81. that anything worthwhile?

Reply to
someone

Couldn't say...I think you comparison to a yearbook is spot-on. A museum may like to have them, for archival value. But I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone else.

Reply to
Rufus

Contact the USS Midway museum

they already do not have a copy in the museum, perhaps they have had some inquiries from former crewmen asking for them.

Reply to
willshak

good idea. i would donate it to a museum.

Reply to
someone

Rufus wrote in news:vL8xi.65292$Fc.39694@attbi_s21:

Agree with those that compare them to yearbooks. However, this being a modeling group, I will add that I built a model for a guy who served on the Ticonderoga in the early '60's and he let me look at his Cruise books as resource material. I found it useful to look at the squadron markings and aircraft types, as well as the deck markings for the ship and details of radar, etc. So, limited usefulness for the general population, but in the right circumstance, great primary source.

Gary Anderson

Reply to
Gary Anderson

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:QXixi.233548$ snipped-for-privacy@fe01.news.easynews.com:

I am getting my wife's granddad's. USS Lexington in the 30s.

Anyone have any interest in that?

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Yes! I'd like to borrow it and scan it then return it.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Ron Smith wrote in news:Q2Ixi.487$jy6.414 @trnddc01:

I'm waiting for my mother-in-law to get it out of the trunk. I'm supposed to get a real uniform, too. I'll let you know.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I have 2 places, here in Bremerton, that would love to have any cruise books that no one knows what to do with. I would even make sure that the source would be properly credited :). Especially if they were either built/repaired/stationed here.

Reply to
Andrew M

cvs midway. but i'm not sure i can donate it. i didn't get it free.

Reply to
someone