NAR/TRA and EX

If you are a NAR member can that NAR member go to a TRA sponsored event that is doing EX and participate in the EX activities?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

no

Else I would have.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Nope.

If ya want to play, ya gotta pay.

Reply to
Phil Stein

TRA EX launches are for TRA members only. And I quote:

1.2.1 The purpose of the Tripoli Research Program is to provide members of TRA with a venue in which they can static test and launch their own composite or hybrid motors at a Tripoli Research Launch.
Reply to
Gene

Why would you even be tempted to be exposed to the evil & corrupt (according to you) TRA EXers?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Only if the person is also a member of TRA. Only TRA members can fly at TRA EX launches.

Reply to
RayDunakin

You sure can !

Nothing in the NAR prevents you from doing so, not even the member pledge.

You do also need to be a TRA Level #2 or Better member at the same time however.

Reply to
almax

Yes. NAR does not care what you do away from NAR events.

Bob Kaplow

Like it or not, HPR mag is currently still the "official" magazine of TRA. TRA gets free advertising in the mag, and the mag gets to have its link on TRA's website. If you don't like the magazine, don't subscribe.

Membership fees and magazine subscriptions all go to TRA. TRA then forwards the magazine subscriptions to the publisher. You ought to know this by now, since it's been pretty thoroughly discussed and rehashed here.

No one said they had. What has been done is that money from magazine subscriptions no longer goes into the TRA general fund. They do not "share the same bank account", as you claim. TRA cashes the checks (which usually include membership fees) and send the magazine money to the publisher.

The only way to separate it any further would be to require two separate checks from the members who subscribe.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Snipped,

You are not hanging with the right TRA EXers.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Clark

Point.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

When someone subscribes to HPR, through TRA, they get a discount that they wouldn't otherwise get. IIRC, every month all subscription money that has been collected is forwarded to HPR. This is hardly what I would call comingled. A single payment must go into a single account and be dispuresed from there.

The BoD feels it's necessary to have an "Official Magazine" and HPR is it. I personally don't agree with this, but it's up to them to decide.

I think that the HPR "situation" has done more to tarnish the image of TRA than anything else.

HPR >phil:

Reply to
Phil Stein

What you say may be true, but according to their membership application:

By submitting this form, I pledge to conduct all my model and high power sport rocketry activities in compliance with the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code, the NAR High Power Safety Code, and the Radio Controlled Rocket Glider Safety Code.

And the safety code referenced:

Motors. I will use only certified, commercially-made model rocket motors, and will not tamper with these motors or use them for any purposes except those recommended by the manufacturer.

There seems to be a problem with participating in EX activities. They should explicitely state their real policy, if it differs from the above published information. I, for one, cannot join NAR because of the policies listed above.

Jim Goecks

Bob Kaplow wrote:

Reply to
Jim

MANY people have stated same.

If their rules made sense, at minimum they would have a lot more armchair rocketeer or amateur rocketeer members.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

But TRA does. TRA requires TRA membership for EX.

You can, however, use the reciprocation and join TRA as L2 if you are NAR L2, and then participate.

David

This has been rehashed time and again. If you are flying Ex or amateur, you are NOT flying 'Model' or 'High Power' rockets (per the definitions of model and HPR) and therefore are NOT bound by the safety code.

Reply to
DaveL

This was brought up in the last NAR meeting, and they have agreed to change the language. I was one of those who asked it be brought up, and they have responded fully in line with what I have hoped.

The only thing that is now occurring is the normal 'change' of getting things reprinted, etc., as time and funds permit -- but the policy itself has already changed. It was also publicly acknowledged in this forum a few months ago by one or more Trustees.

David Erbas-White

Jim wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

You know what?

This is what is cool about NAR. It occasionally does the right thing in reply to feedback.

I like that!!

Unlike TRA.

Jerry

TRA #0000000012

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

jim: you are misreading that..... When you are participating in AR/EX sport rocketry activities, you are not participating in either model rocket or HPR sport rocketry activities, you are participating in NON-model rocket and NON-HPR sport rocketry activities, so the NAR Safety Codes DO NOT APPLY.....

shockie B)

shockwaveriderz

AND 21 and older....

Reply to