NAR or TRA?

I'm new to the rocketry hobby and pretty geeked about it. Of course, I built and flew a million Estes kits as a kid in the 70's but I never knew it went beyond that until the late 90's when I read something about high power rocketry. So I searched out the vendors and ordered a LOC IV in 1999 and built it but had nowhere to launch it because I thought that only happened out west in the desert.

Then last month I found (random surfing) there were three clubs within an hour or two of me (Toledo) and I've been to two launches since. Rock on!! What strikes me most is how helpful everyone is to newcomers. Very cool (big thanks to Gary Dickinson, Jay and Lee Barry, Mark Palmer and the guy at Commonwealth Displays). My only regret is that I wish I would have found out about this earlier in the year so that I would have had time work on domestic policy agendas and re-route the family 4th of July vacation to Genesco!

Anyway, I'm sure this question has been asked here many times but...I want to join NAR or TRA for all of the various benefits but mostly in anticipation of an L1 cert. I know there's all kinds of reciprocity between them, but what are the pros and cons of each? Short of any clear cut rational answer, I'm kind of liking the name "Tripoli".

Mark Bostleman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Mark Bostleman

Both organizations support high power rocketry quite well, and there is reciprocity regarding motor and user certifications, so, in practice, there's not much difference. Some clubs are only NAR sections and not TRA prefectures, or vice versa, while others are both. Check to see what your local clubs are.

NAR is a bit cheaper to join, and membership includes a subscription to Sport Rocketry, which is a very nice (and regularly published) magazine covering most aspects of the hobby, from model to high power, and including contests such as NARAM (the NAR Annual Meet). Personally, I'm a NAR member.

Tripoli is a bit more costly to join, and does not (by default) include a magazine subscription -- you have to pay extra for it. Tripoli's magazine (High Power Rocketry) has not met its publishing goals (in terms of shipping the promised numbers of issues each year) in any of the last 6 or 7 years, at least, from what I have heard. Personally, I would be wary of subscribing to that particular magazine until they have a track record of a year or two of meeting their commitments under their belts.

Tripoli does support some non-commercial motor-making under the auspices of the Tripoli "EX" (for EXperimental, one assumes) program. NAR does not. However, NAR sponsors model rocket contest flying, which Tripoli does not. So, there are a few minor differences.

All in all, both are good organizations, with equal support for flying commercial high power motors. The user certification programs are nearly identical, and are reciprocal.

- Rick "Pick a (membership) card, any card" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

AAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Kaplow

For the record, low and mid power rockets are welcome at the vast majority of TRA launches. The only exception would be if some local club discouraged modrocs at their launches. I've heard second hand reports of this happening, but it's rare.

Reply to
RayDunakin

So I don't get it... Are you a NAR section officer, section Senior advisor or what? You are (or were) on NAR sections mailing list but, you are most definately very anti NAR. It just doesn't make sense. Kind of hypocritical if you ask me.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

Thanks guys. That was the kind of insider feedback I was looking for...

Reply to
Mark Bostleman

Shockie,

Once again you are talking out of you ass. Get the facts. Almost everything you've said is wrong.

Kevin is right.

Reply to
Phil Stein

To clarify what Ray said-

TRA is good but DO NOT subscribe to HPR!!

Reply to
Phil Stein

ROFL

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

TRA hasn't thrown him out because he never joined.

NAR & others have ignored him because all he does is criticize with no constructive suggestions. HELLO try constructive criticism. Volunteers don't want to hear nothing but criticism.

Reply to
Phil Stein

You are one of the elite few.

management. Dissent. That isn't being done any more. As you said, Iz wasn't thrown out.

discussed, so things

At the time, I got the word directly from Iz. He said Bruce Kelly tried to entice him into quitting IIRC, he offered to refund twice his membership fee. There was never any consideration by the BoD to throw him out. On RMR, I suggested that Iz should be thrown out becuase he violated one of the rules that pertains to members intentionally trying to harm the organization. BoD members were underwhelmed by this suggestion. Those are the facts. I do not agree with you.

When are you going to submit a request to the BoD for reinstatement?

Reply to
Phil Stein

I'm not surprised. Are you representing yourself as someone that is not totally anti TRA?

Reply to
Phil Stein

That was in reposone to Shockie. Everyone knows Jerry & you are "special."

My TR's don't go back that far. I do have a TR from when Jerry had the chance to get back in & declined to appologize for the behavior that got him thrown out. As a result, he didn't get back in.

In the years since Kelly hasn't been in office, I think TRA has become a better organization.

Reply to
Phil Stein

greg: I am still the president of the BluesRockS NAR section.... Here we preach toleration of opposing points of view..... Where does it say as a NAR section prez I can't make anti-NAR (your words not mine) remarks ......as far as my comments, can't you read between the lines and see the sarcasm ? Besides my comments are mostly positive about the NAR and negative about the TRA... IF and when I make disparging remarks about the NAR it is as an Individual NAR member, NOT as a NAR section prez.....How is it hypocritical? Can't a person hold 2 opposing trains of thought in their mind at one time? As a NAR member and a NAR section pres, I cannot say or have negative thought processes about the NAR? I might add that if you look at this or nay other forum in which I participate, I encourage all people to join the NAR. And I am dedicated to growing NAR membership here in KY. In toto I think the NAR does much more good than it does bad and thats why I support it....even though I may disagree with some of its positions.....

And I believe some of what I said....the NAR has been preoccupied over the past 10 years with HPR and its associated lawsuits.. thats my opinion, I may be wrong or I may be right....I also think the lawsuits are a waste of time and money....Mark Bundick disagrees vehemetly but at the same time he has also been saying since 1994, get your LEUP to be legal.... The following is still on the NAR website:

"You must apply for and receive a BATF Low Explosives User Permit before taking receipt of any rocket motors exceeding 62.5 grams of propellant, unless both you and the seller reside in the same state."

Is this NOT hypocritical? Isn't the current position of the NAR that rocket motors regardless of what size are PADs and therefore are exempt from the ATF LEUP? HUH?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Have you apologized for beating your cousin's sister?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Many times. How did you find out about it? The real question here is was it a sincere appology or did I appologize to get out of trouble & really didn't mean it.

Did you stop beating your wife?

Reply to
Phil Stein

At best TRA insurance is only good at sanctioned TRA events, sometimes with a hefty surcharge. NAR insurance is good 24x365, anywhere in the country, even at TRA events!

Bob Kaplow

There had to be more to it than that, because lots of folks have expressed dissent with TRA, and continue to do so, without getting booted.

Iz _deserved_ to be kicked out, not for "dissenting" but for his actively attempting to harm the organization.

Reply to
RayDunakin

A few years? How about a decade.

The flip side of this is that TRA only allows one elected person in a club to sign off on certifications. In NAR any 2 (or in some cases 1) adult members can do so.

And just as much BS on the pro-TRA side.

Bob Kaplow

I've been to TRA launches that had a published "F minimum"...

Reply to
Bob Kaplow