Slow network performance

I think this might be the third thread I've started on this topic over the years. Just pinging in case there is new information out there.

We have some folders on our network drive that keeps Pro/E files. XP workstations, 100Mbit LAN with low traffic load. Last fall, the time required to open an assembly drawing (~100 components, 25MB) jumped from 45s to over 8min. At first this was a problem for one or two users only, then within a few days every Pro/E user noticed this crawl- like speed. The IT guys fought with it and never made any progress (new routers, new cabling, new NICs).

Two months ago we got newer workstations, and the network went back to 'full' speed again. The IT guys quit worrying about it, although I think all of us figured it could return. Today it reverted to slow mode again, and nobody can figure out why. Same search.pro, same config.pro, same devices on the network, etc.

If you (or your IT gurus) have any answers I'd sure like to hear about it.

Dave

Reply to
dgeesaman

John Wade

Done. We have the same performance problem when copying files down outside of Pro/E, in windows explorer.

Dave

John Wade wrote:

Reply to
David Geesaman

I thought for a while about 'teaching my grandmother' - but a similar comment applies to a recursive purge of working files. Windows can get dog slow if you have a lot of files in a directory, and Pro does like to keep a lot of files.

Reply to
John Wade

Hi!

just an idea, what about firewall or virus programs kicking in? I think I've seen that disallowing ICMP traffic can cause really weird or intermittent problems (some computer trying to tell about a network problem to another).

Mikko

Reply to
Mikko Korhonen