Coexisting 2004 and 2005

Has anybody had any experience runnning 2004 and 2005 on the same machine ?

I would likt to test 2005 for a little while. I will keep the 2005 files seperated from 2004. My Var said it no problem but I am not so sure.

For example solidworks installs in C:\program files\common files\ a couple of directories !! Will they be overwritten by 2005 ?

Thanks in advance Giorgis

Reply to
Giorgis

You will have an option to specify different directories for installation files. Obviously, a backup is in order. It can be done, but you have to be careful.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I have done it several times. The key is to install in separate folders for both the program files & common files. I use a scheme like C:\Program Files\SolidWorks2005 and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Solidworks Data2005.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Giorgis,

No problemo,,, Do a new install, not an upgrade.

After installation, go to "tools"-"options", "system options", "file locations", and set all of the defaults to point to the same respective folder under SW2005. This will keep you from accidentally screwing up your SW2004 templates and other 2004 stuff.

By default, 2005 points to the 2004 folders

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

This stuf is scary ... :-)

My Var says it's OK as is, three responses seem to complement each other before I get the full story. Thanks guys. Would anybody have any other pointers.

What about things like bluebeam pdf creator. Will save as PDF still work in 2004 ?

I know I am overacting a bit, but any major change always has teething problems. I just don't want to bring out the fire extinguisher.

I can't wait to use 2005, I like the DWG editor just for nocking up sketches. I remember using AutoCAD loong time ago. It was crap in may ways, but sketching was pretty good. I guess it had decades to refine it self.

Thanks guys Giorgis

Reply to
Giorgis

I have run 2003, 2004, 2005 together at one time on the same machine.

If you have templates setup in a different location than SW normally uses (customer templates) make sure that 2005 can't touch the templates directory of the previous SW releases or you won't have any templates usable in earlier versions.

This just brings up the old principal, files converted to a new release cannot be used in an older release. BACKUP before testing or converting.

BTW, all this really won't matter for the DWG editor as that works on ACAD principals which gives a lot more freedom in working back and forth in older releases.

Go For It.

I have 2003/2004/2005 all installed on one machine - 2006 will also go later and so on.

TIPS:

-New Install as noted

-Use the file dialogue to open files (double click) could be a problem in to knowing which program version will open.

-Don't worry, it's not catastrophic - it will work just fine.

Later,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

All you guys that do a 'New Install' for each version, do you use Toolbox parts? How do you handle upgrading your existing Toolbox database (specifally the 'Copied Parts' option)

Aaron

Sean-Michael Adams wrote:

Reply to
Aaron

No toolbox here - we have our own reference library.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Good question. You can use Toolbox, but make sure to install the new library to some unused location, and then delete it. Redirect the new SW to the old TB library. This will not work well if you haven't already created all the sizes you need. Of course that would be taken care of if Toolbox installed "ready to use" instead of "ready to LOSE". You can minimize the data you'll lose by using the "Copy Parts" switch, but this setting should be changed only on a fresh library with no configs, otherwise you'll get configs where you don't want them. Anyway, using this set up with SW 2004 with the "Copy Parts" switch, you'll only not be able to access any new parts (sizes) created with 2005.

I wrote a little about this in the new Toolbox paper on my website, url listed in the "Toolbox Usage Issues" thread from yesterday.

Good luck.

matt

Aaron wrote in news:s7GdnRFVA9Ks9_ncRVn- snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

Reply to
matt

Actually, I'll be going from 2003 to 2005. So, if I understand you correctly, I will end up using the 2003 data base in the 2005 environment, and will therefore not be able to use anything that has been added to TB since 2003. (Has much been added?)

Would it be possible to actually use the 2005 TB, and set a new install (no configs in database files) to 'Copied Parts'. Then copy all my 2003 'Copied Parts' to the 2005 'Copied Parts' folder? So that when I place a fastener it will look and see that the file is already there and use it. This is assuming the file names of a specific fastener hasn't changed between releases.

I'm hoping that I can do this, and then go thru the tedious task of re-adding all my custom TB parts from 2003 to 2005.

I did do a test once when I made a cube and saved it over an existing fastener in the 'Copied Parts' folder. When I used TB to insert it, it brought in the cube. It didn't care what was in the file, as long as it had the right file name.

Aaron

matt wrote:

Reply to
Aaron

OK Guys, I did it and it seems like it is working.

The things I did was

Do a new install Installed in a SW2005 directory for both common and install directoy Then I went to options and made sure every file location directory did not point to 2004. This was tricky as I had to OK and exit the requrester every time or else if I moved onto the next one the previous setting would reset.

So far so good, now off to trial 2005. Thanks for your help

Giorgis

Reply to
Giorgis

Anybody have a reply?