Undocumented Mouse Behavior in 2004

Hello all,

Since installing 2004 I have noticed an intermittent peculiar mouse wheel action.

Sometimes, when rotating, the model locks into rotation about an invisible axis and swings like it was hinged. If I release the wheel and then start rotating again, the strangeness goes away. Upon experimenting, I found that it only happened when I was zooming in or out and then went immediately into rotation, without any delay. I have been unable to control it to my advantage, other than to note that it will usually choose an axis normal to the face where the mouse cursor was while zooming.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

My mouse is a Wireless Intellimouse Explorer running Intellipoint driver

4.10.851.0 Nvidia 980 XGL driver 4.1.0.3 Intel 3.06 GHz 2 gig RAM

Sincerely, Jerry Forcier

Reply to
Jerry Forcier

I discovered this during Beta. What is happpening is you can pick an edge edge with the wheel button and then click and hold the wheel button again to rotate as normal and it will rotate about that edge that was picked. Sometimes it seams to pick an edge under the curser when you just try to do a normal rotate. You need to click again to release the edge. The ability to pick and rotate about an edge is great but it seams a little qwerky at times.

Dave H

Jerry Forcier wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

also points (corners) and cylindrical edges (rot about axis) - although this last is a bit hit and miss...

Reply to
Chris

It is documented and in the "whats new" manual.

Mostly works pretty good. I have found that some of the new MS mouse drivers don't work that well with the SW middle mouse roller. I tried to get the new side tilting wheel mouse to work and it had problems.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

you need to turn off the intelliwheel for that the solidworks application. You have to do this every time you install or upgrade solidworks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Tietz (renderman)

Hello again, and thanks to everyone. I finally figured it out with your help - I have to click the line using the WHEEL, then release and rotate like always to get the new action. This is very cool - I can eliminate my 'R' key to get into this useful mode without using both hands. Then, again, maybe my mousing hand needs a break - not more duty cycle!

Thanks all, Jerry Forcier

Jerry Forcier wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Forcier

Don't kill your hotkey yet. It doesn't work when you edit a sketch. At least, it doesn't work for me.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yes, I like the new view manipulation tools (ability to use the MMB to click on a point/edge/plane and rotate about it). It eliminates the need to use the rotate tool. I have a MS Intellimouse in which I bind the large thumb button to CNTRL and the small thumb button to SHIFT. In this way, all view manipulation can easily be handled with the mouse and one hand.

HOWEVER, my PET PEEVE with mouse view manipulation in SWX is how the graphics window seems to loose the mouse link in certain situations. Thus, the mouse rotate and wheel zoom won't work until you click in the graphics area. For instance: Click on a feature in the FM Tree. Then move the mouse over the window and try to zoom with the scroll wheel. You cant until you click.

I think there are lots of other situations in SWX where the mouse behaves this way and it ALWAYS SEEMS TO PISS ME OFF!!!

Reply to
Arlin

Arlin,

About you pet peeve; The way I deal with that is to click with the mouse wheel itself. It's kind of like a really heavy handed zoom by rolling the wheel. This works for me a lot better than changing my synaptic response and shifting to a different finger.

Sincerely, Jerry Forcier

Arl> Yes, I like the new view manipulation tools (ability to use the MMB to

Reply to
Jerry Forcier

Yes, I do the same. It just often catches me of guard. Sometimes you need to first click, and other times it works without the extra effort.

I just wish it would always work and never need to click. If the mouse point is in the graphics area, view manipulation mode should be automatic.

Reply to
Arlin