SolidWorks 2004 Semi Crash to Desktop

I think I had something like this once. I think it turned out that some dialog box had come up and either got pushed off screen or was hidden behind the window or something. It acted like it was in the middle of a command, waiting for some kind of input. Did you try alt-tab? Is this the first time this happened? What were you doing when it happened?

matt.

"Kman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
matt

Problem: All toolbar buttons grayed except Open Folder, Filters, Help, View, shadow, real view while trying to measure using Select Other. Task manager says the application is running. Can't close or save

My system also CTD once earlier in the day and had to restart.

System/Hardware

SolidWorks 2004/SPO

Windows XP Professional (up to date)

Windows Office/SP2

Video: Quadro4, 750 XGL, Driver 4.3.5.1 (Custom OpenGL Applications Setting: SolidWorks)

History:

Never installed the beta versions on my computer

Reformatted my hard drive prior to install

Anti-Virus off during install

Since know one was reporting any problems of significance with 2004, decided to install on my home system and become familiar. Getting familiar fast (ha)

I like many of the new features and functionality but the thrill goes away once I start loosing work. Anyone else experiencing semi crash to desktop?

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Matt,

It happened a second time and I was able to follow what happened in more detail. When your not looking for a problem it is sometimes hard to replay the exact sequence of events. See explanation below.

I have not tried alt+tab

Problem: All toolbar buttons grayed except Open Folder, Filters, Help, View, shadow, real view while trying to measure using Select Other. Task manager says the application is running. Can't close or save file.

Sequence of events causing the hang up:

1.. Working in assembly or sub-assembly (assembly parts were transparent using the Change Transparency toggle button or Hidden Lines Visible mode) 2.. Assembly component (A) concentric mate to part (B) 3.. Enable measure tool 4.. RMB and Select Other 5.. Click RMB to go through face selections and make a selection 6.. Chosen face does not show up in the measure tool selection box (note: this doesn't occur every time the measure tool is used with transparent or hidden lines visible mode) 7.. Move mouse pointer over measure select box and click with left mouse button. The selected face name appears in the selection box. At this point I 'm unable to go back to the display screen and use the rotate view mode. 8.. Repeat steps 4-5 on another face. This is when my system toolbar buttons gray out and system hangs up. 9.. End SolidWorks (Windows task manager). Reopen the assembly and the problem will not occur using the same sequence of events until I have been working in the assembly for approximately ¾-1 hour.

Remarks:

This problem has occurred twice today on the same assembly, different sub-assemblies

The sequence of steps described doesn't consistently cause a hang up. Problem seems to occur after working in the same file for approximately ¾-1 hour.

Reformatted my hard drive prior to installing SolidWorks 2004/SP0 this week

Anti-Virus off during install

System/Hardware

SolidWorks 2004/SPO

Windows XP Professional (up to date)

Windows Office/SP2

Video: Quadro4, 750 XGL, Driver 4.3.5.1 (Custom OpenGL Applications Setting: SolidWorks)

Anyone else experiencing grayed out toolbar buttons?

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Kman,

Check your memory usage at intervals leading up to the weirdness. SW2004 is an absolute memory "PIG". It will continue to absorb memory resources as you work. The amount and frequency of the increases is disproportionate to the actual work your doing.

Like all new releases of SW, memory isn't freed up by closing files. If you do allot of opening and closing, the pile of unused (but allocated) memory builds.

This is one of the typical causes of CTD

They never did completely fix 2003 with regards to this

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM