Semi OT: Max Windows Uptime

I say this is partially on topic because all of us rely on Windows to do our jobs. I noticed today that my machine has been up longer than I ever thought windows could be.

Looking at the system idle time in my task manager (not really measuring uptime, but close enough), I am at 1028 hours (42.8 days). This is on a machine that I use 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. Its not just sitting in a corner idle. Of course, I wouldn't have thought it was possible even then.

Specs:

P4 2.4 GHz

2 GB RAM Quadro4 750 XGL running 53.03 nVidia drivers Windows 2000 5.00.2195 sp3 Solidworks 2004 SP3

Just an FYI.

MHill

Reply to
MHill

Pretty good. I don't usually get to go more than a couple weeks before I need to reboot for some reason or other.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

that is very impressive. the most impressive thing bob z. sees in this is that you haven't installed any software during this time!

bob z. is a little embarrassed to say this: bob z. didn't realize that cpu time was even an option...

:~)>

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

"bob zee" wrote in news:1099413933.788650.205110 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I have installed software. Just not anything that required a reboot I guess.

The cpu time of course only counts idle time. So as an indicator of uptime, I figure it represents an underestimate by several percent. If I'd known it could go this long, I might have installed some kind of uptime counter.

MHill

Reply to
MHill

I recently ran a 92 hour FEA solution while doing my regular work. During this time SW did crash, but not the OS.

Reply to
P.

OS (Windows 2K)Uptime (1wk 5days 23hrs 32mins 1sec)Record (7wks 2hrs

6mins 34secs) CPU (1-Intel Pentium 4, 2800MHz, 1024KB (0% Load)RAM (5Usage: 661/1024MB (64.55%)Screen RES (1280x1024 16bit 75Hz)PPP/PPPoE (none detected)NiC (#1 (Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC (100Mb/s) 931.74MB In, 4058.51MB Out)

Can't recall the last BSOD I've seen.

On the other hand my Linux box says this:

29 days, 23:59 hours This short time is due to the fact that a hard drive was added.

Linux .... takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

What is even better is that when this system has given trouble it didn't require a reinstall to put it to rights, just a carefull reading of the logs and man pages along with a little of the copious help found on the internet.

Reply to
P.