Intralink running on Windows XP

Has anyone heard when Intralink will be able to run on windows XP. We just installed Intralink 3.3, but it would not run. After some effort it appears Intralink will run on windows 2000 but not windows XP. All of our computers or Windows Xp. It looks like, if we can add it into our budget, we will have to buy a computer just to run windows 2000 for a server.

Frank

Reply to
fmc

Not sure if this will help... On my old copy of AutoCAD 2000, it too would not run on Win XP.

What I did to get it to instal and run properly... Open windows explorer, navigate to the setup file on the install disc, right click on that file, click properties, click the compatiblity tab and choose run as Win 2000 program.

Hope this helps, Jack

Reply to
jack

I've never tried to run Intralink on a desktop OS , only the server versions. Right now it's running on a Win 2000 Server. You might try Win

2003 Server instead of XP.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Intralink will run on XP. All of our clients are XP. The server is preferred to be WinY2K.

Eric

Reply to
EricM

I assume you're talking about the dataserver and fileserver components, not the client. We've been running the client on XP since Intralink release 3.0 with no problems.

We run the server components on Windows2000 Server. Windows 2003 Server will be supported in release 3.4 of Intralink, which is scheduled to ship on 8/10/2004.

As an aside, though I've never had the nerve to try it myself with such a critical application, I've heard that there really is no problem running Intralink 3.3 and earlier on Windows 2003 Server and people have been doing it successfully. Just because PTC does not 'support' it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Regards

Reply to
Pete

My version of Intralink 3.3 build M021 says it works on WinXp. We are still using Win2000 yet, though.

Robert L. Alexander Sauder Woodworking Co. Ph. 419.446.3221 Fx. 419.446.4978

Reply to
Bob Alexander

Take a look at:

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes Pietsch

Yes Pete, The server is what I am talking about. Your answer is what I was looking for. I don't think our server will be updated to the Windows

2003 any time soon, so I guess our only hope, at this time, is to set up a separate server just to run the Intralink. And yes we understand the clients can run as Windows XP. It's just the server that is causing our problem. If release 3.4 will run on Windows 2003 do you think it will run on windows XP? We at this time do not have the approval to get a system just to run the intralink but that could change real fast when the one in charge realizes that will be our only alternative.

Here is the Error we are getting when we try to load Intralik. Wondering if anyone knows what could be the underlying cause, just in case it's not the software version after all.

"Oracle connect failed while loading Pro/Intralink schema. The client has failed to correct the issue, please consult the knowledge base in the Customer Service Section of

and /or contact Technical Support."

Reply to
fmc

FMC, As you can see if you click the link on Bob Alexander's post, the Intralink 3.4 matrix shows no support for running the server-side applications on Windows XP (

)

In fact, Windows2003 Server is not even certified to run the Intralink client in either 3.3 or 3.4!

The only Microsoft OS that is capable of running all three portions (client/dataserver/fileserver) is Windows2000 Professional (not Server) at SP3 and above.

Obviously, if you're all-XP all-the-time, something in your configuration is going to have to change. Win2000 Pro is only going to support 10 simultaneous users by default (this is a Microsoft limit, not PTC). I'd say that if you're going to run 3.3 you should go to Win2003 Server. You could just buy the OS and a 10 or 25 client access license (CAL) package and run 3.3 on it until 3.4 becomes a little more mature. CDW has some good deals on this, and you could install it on existing hardware. I would certainly hesitate before I installed 3.4 F000. Initial builds are notoriously buggy, and it would be wise to wait until the M020 or M030 release of 3.4 before committing to it. The 3.3 experience shows that it wasn't until M021 that things were ironed-out to the point where it was essentially bullet-proof. Before that was 2002471, 2003290, an aborted 3-day availability M020, and then M021.

Regards

Reply to
Pete

You are forgetting that all OS's from Microsoft are not servers. XP is only available on the client side, there is no XP Server. Servers have been/are: NT4, 2000, 2003. Clients have been/are: NT4, 2000, XP Home, XP Pro. (Not counting Win9X products.)

Reply to
Ben Loosli

Thanks for all the input. I can see we have some changes we will need to make. All of your answers have helped very much. Thanks again Frank

Reply to
fmc

If this is related to IIS, that should be 10 simultaneous

*connections*, which can work out to about three users .... I was fool enough to actually try to use the MS built-in _shit_ at one time for web and ftp services.
Reply to
hamei