PDMWorks Vault on Windows XP Pro

Hi,

We're looking on implementing PDMWorks. The vault will be on a dedicated machine, doing nothing else. The docs says that it can be installed on Windows XP or Server 2000 or Server 2003. There's a big difference in cost. Is there some notable performance difference? We're about 8 SolidWorks users.

Thanks, Conj

Reply to
conj

works fine on a xp pro box.

if history carries over (from nt workstation & w2k pro), you will be limited to 10 clients being able to connect simultaneously to xp box.

Reply to
kenneth b

Currently there is a problem with server2003 & pdmworks - Somthing with the way the 2003 manages files. However XPpro should be just fine.

Steve Tietz

Reply to
Steve Tietz

Hi, I found:

it looks like PDMWorks doesn't keep the connection alive very long so it shouldn't be a problem. If we don't get 10 users requesting something at the same time...

Thanks, Conj

Reply to
conj

Steve, We are in the middle of deploying PDMWorks 2004 on Server 2003 - can you elaborate on what the issues are?

Regards, Marc

Reply to
cadmgr2004

sure... Here is a cut & paste of the alert from solidworks corporate:

Technical Support Alert: PDMWorks performance problems on Windows Server

2003 machines Due to a problem with Windows Server 2003, customers using this Operating System for their PDMWorks vault may be experiencing some performance problems. Typical symptoms are excessive time to login to the vault and take ownership of files, as well as high CPU usage on the server. This problem has been resolved with a hot fix from Microsoft, which can be downloaded from Microsoft's web site: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 831168

Reply to
Steve Tietz