RCX2.0 USB on Windows XP

I have a nice fast Windows XP and all looks fine except I can't use the USB Tower.... it connects to PC ok, I can view info/diagnostics which say its OK
from the Control Panel (the drivers installed ok - though they are from 2001 ?). But if I use the RIS 2.0 or BRICX (latest) - when configuring the Tower it freezes my machine totally. Screen freezes, cant do COntrol Alt Delete or anything, basically hit the reboot switch on front of the box. I have tried everything including unplugging all other COM's and USB devices (printer/scanner) to no avail.
I have surfed the next for a updated XP driver and can't find anything ? Anyone else had this problem and fixed it....
PS: my daughters machine has Win98se and works fine - though I would prefer to use my office machine.