Problem with RIS 2.0 upgrade

I have a RIS 1.5 kit and recently purchased a RIS 2.0 upgrade CD.

I cannot get the 2.0 firmware downloaded to the brick. It says that it cannot find the brick.

-My tower is recognized.

-I replaced all batteries with fresh ones.

-I am running Windows XP.

Has anyone done this yet? Do I have to erase the 1.5 firmware first (and how is this done)? Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Littman

I've heard stories of people having problems with the tower under Windows P - I think LEGO released a new tower driver for the problem.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Pender

I purchased a RIS 2.0 set and use the USB Tower with Windows XP.

This combination works fine for me - let me know if you figure out what the cause of your issue is.

While I prefer this newsgroup since it is open and does not require memberships or anything, Lugnet.com is a decent resource with message boards - and your answer may be found there.

Reply to
Neb Okla

If you want to sell the CD on, I may be interested in buying it.

Reply to
Shazzy & Fluffy

Several suggestions...

Try taking the batteries out for a while to wipe the 1.5 firmware. What tower are you using? if you are using the serial tower, try replacing the 9v battery if you have not already done so. In win xp, right click the RIS icon and hit properties. Click the compatability tab and try running in win95/98 compatability mode.

Reply to
picopirate

I found the directions to erase the firmware (pull out at least one battery and then push the on button -- it will beep and erase), which I did but that did not help.

I am using a serial tower. I replaced all batteries, including the one in the tower.

I have tried both Win95 compatibility and Win98 compatibility.

None of this helps.

Any other ideas?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Littman

I haven't found any tower drivers. Has anyone else seen this?

TIA.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Littman

Thanks, I will try Lugnet.com.

I also sent a report of my problem to Lego last week but I haven't heard anything. Are they usually so unresponsive?

Thanks.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Littman

Are you attempting the firmware download in a room with bright fluorescent lights?

The IR interface doesn't work very well under fluorescent light. It might help to turn off any nearby fluorescent lights, or to place the tower and RCX under a box during programming.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Pender

I second the recommendation about the lights. Try turning out your lights to flash. I would also try uninstalling the 2.0 and retry flashing under

1.5. If all else fails, you might want to pick up a USB tower on bricklink. FYI, I am running 2.0 w/ USB tower under XP w/o any problems (though I did have to do the hack to get Vision Command to install under XP). I have a 1.5 set which I upgraded with the software from the 2.0 set but the only difference is that I have always used the USB tower. I dont think I ever used the serial tower.
Reply to
picopirate

You don't say what kind of computer you are running. If you have newer Intel processor with hyperthreading, the driver won't work. Apparently, there's a race condition somewhere. There is a driver update available through Pitsco that will fix this problem. I've had the problem, pulled out some hair, found the driver and now my hair is slowly growing back.

Good luck

Reply to
Steve Williams