RCX 2.0 USB tower problem

I have a nice fast Windows XP and all looks fine except I can't use the USB Tower.... it connects to PC ok, I can view info/diagnostics which say its OK
from the Control Panel (the drivers installed ok - though they are from 2001 ?). But if I use the RIS 2.0 or BRICX (latest) - when configuring the Tower it freezes my machine totally. Screen freezes, cant do COntrol Alt Delete or anything, basically hit the reboot switch on front of the box. I have tried everything including unplugging all other COM's and USB devices (printer/scanner) to no avail.
I have surfed the next for a updated XP driver and can't find anything ? Anyone else had this problem and fixed it....
PS: my daughters machine has Win98se and works fine - though I would prefer to use my office machine.
Add pictures here
✖
I have exactly the same problem.
Lego support was of NO USE AT ALL. I only talked to people which had less knowledge than myself. Im quite angry at that company.
Add pictures here
✖
I have the same problem too. Have you had any resolution?
I have a Dell 266 MHz (years old), with Windows 2000, that runs the tower fine, just very slowly because it's 266MHz.
I have a new 3.0 GHz Pentium 4, Windows XP, sp2, that freezes as soon as the Mindstorm software tries to access the tower. A windows Server 2003 OS on same machine did same thing.
Driver in control panel says status is OK.
Motherboard is Intel 915GAG. I haven't found any USB drivers for that motherboard (other than what comes with OS and/or BIOS). BIOS is up to date.
Add pictures here
✖
Fixed! yay yay yay.
A very helpful person out there sent me a link to a driver update on the lego site that I downloaded, installed, and it fixed the problem:
http://www.lego.com/eng/service/faqs.asp?section=ConsumerService-FAQ-TechSupport&tech=true&catid ‡BC4CA6-D8CD-4BF1-8307-6B52AB45AF02
Apparently the problem is related to the hyperthreading supported by the processor.
PS, after I installed, the system immeidately stopped freezing. However, I did discover that if I "Alt-tabbed" away from lego while it was first connecting, it the lego program went out to lunch. If I just had some patienence and didn't touch anything, it works great --- I haven't tried Al+tab again, so I don't know if the same thing happens at other points.
Add pictures here
✖