What is the differnec between the mindstorm RIS systems

Looking at ebay - there are systems 1.0,1.5 and 2.0, What is the difference?

Can you upgrade from a 1.0 to 1.5, and 1.5 to 2.)

Thanks Daryl

Reply to
daryl wilde

The biggest difference among them is the software. Version 2.0 is better than 1.5, which is better than 1.0. You also get a few more pieces in the

2.0 set, and the RCX programmable brick has slightly different internal hardware.

The only reason I'd recommend someone get an older version is if they want an RCX with an AC adapter, which is what comes in the 1.0 kit. Otherwise your RCX will have to run on batteries all the time, which can be expensive if you use it a lot.

LEGO used to sell a CD-ROM upgrade for the software to go from version 1.5 to 2.0. But you might as well just get the 2.0 kit to start with if you don't own a Mindstorms set.

-Jordan Bradford

Reply to
Jordan Bradford

Any RCX can be fitted with fake batteries that enable you to connect it to an adapter via the battery box (UK supplier = Maplin, and you'll probably find the same from Radio Shack in the US)

The RIS software can be found in Lego's Mindstorm pages as part of their Software Development Kits (SDK), and there are a number of alternative RXC operating systems available for free download, google for 'RCX OS'

Also the 1.0 RIS kit can be often be found quite cheaply due to the apparent software incompatibility with newer MS pc operating systems... not an issue if you download the newer RIS SDK or alternative OS :)

paul

Reply to
Paul K

Thanks for the information on s/w upgrade. I checked the web but did not see it so I sent them a email...nothing back yet.

Daryl

Reply to
daryl wilde