Checking assemblies into PDMWorks is taking a lot of time

Another newbie here. I work at a job where we started using PDMWork with about 8 or so stations of SolidWorks. Some assemblies are aroun

1000 parts and take way more then an hour to check in .This slow everyone down, even if we log out of the vault, and if a user trie to use the vault it will freeze up their SolidWorks program

I guess the LAN is a gigabit. We also have a lot of problems resolvin

links. I normally use Autodesk Inventor but I?m warming up t SolidWorks. I guess it?s like the Ford and Chevy guys, they?ll us either one if the remaining option is walking

In PDM can file paths be directly linked, searched, edited like i

Inventor? Is it the network or our set-up of PDM that it takes s long to put files in the vault

It would be very appreciated if someone had the experience to point m

in the right direction of where the problem might be. I would be abl to give more information if someone would be interested in helping

Thanks a lot

Reply to
YACOLT

If your using version 2005, try installing Service Pack SP05. Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

One reason could be that PDMWorks does name mangling when handling the documents, perhaps you need to look at DBWorks PDM which is a database based system which does not mangle the documents.

Reply to
blah

First I'd contact your VAR Check out the SolidWorks Forum at the SolidWorks website. If you are running the vault on "Windows 2003 Server" there appears to be a known issue (With Long Delays) and Microsoft have a hot fix -- your VAR should be able to point you in the right direction here.

Regards

John Layne

Reply to
John Layne

The IT guys did talk to the VAR and did install SPO2 and for the firs couple of times PDMWorks did seem to speed up some, but now we can? tell any difference again

The IT guys and others that have talked to the VAR haven?t reall

expressed too much confidence in our VAR.

We have 2005 SolidWorks but my box OS is 2000. Maybe that?s a problem

We underlings have talked about the fact we should look into different PMD but it may be management has married this program. know they?ve paid for the engagement ring

They are putting the vault on a faster server but are afraid to mov

the fastener library because of the unresolved link problems w have

I have looked on the SolidWorks site but there seems to be mor

advertisement for PDMWorks then how to make it function

Good ideas

Thanks a lot

Reply to
YACOLT

Did you try the Forum? There is currently a discussion relating to performance issues with PDMWorks Check in times. however it does only relate if the Vault is on running on Windows 2003 server.

Got this off the SolidWorks Technical bulletins-- not sure if you have seen it.

Dec-14-04 Bulletin - PDMWorks performance problems on Windows Server

2003 machines

Due to a problem with Windows Server 2003, customers using this Operating System for their PDMWorks vault may be experiencing some performance problems. Typical symptoms are excessive time to login to the vault and take ownership of files, as well as high CPU usage on the server. This problem has been resolved with a hot fix from Microsoft, which can be downloaded from Microsoft's web site:

John Layne Solid Engineering Ltd

Reply to
John Layne