Re: Pro/PDM on Windows XP

Any truth to the rumor that Catapillar no longer uses PTC for data
management because of PTC's PDM support policy? Just curious... -meld
PS wrote:
>Our company is planning on upgrading all of our PC's From NT to XP later
>>this year but we are still running ProPDM 3.6. Is anyone running ProPDM on
>>Windows XP if so are there any performance problems I should know about. I
>>am unable to get this information from PTC as it is no longer a supported >>product.
>>Thanks in advance for any info
>>

> Hello-
>
> We have a few XP systems that still have to use ProPDM. It works, but PTC
> won't offer any support if you run into problems. Even when they do offer
> support, its lame, so don't let this discourage the use of PDM on XP. >
> Good Luck!
> PS

Reply to
meld_b
I heard they are using Teamcenter for all CAD vaulting and data retention, work flow, etc. I have also heard that they use UG in some of their manufacturing plants for NC programming.
Reply to
Ben Loosli
: Any truth to the rumor that Catapillar no longer uses PTC for data : management because of PTC's PDM support policy? Just curious... -meld : Caterpillar switched data management to UG iMAN in 2002. PTC apparently didn't take Cat's threat to switch very seriously. No XP at Cat, that I know of ~ HPUX or Win2k.
David Janes : PS wrote:
: > : >>Our company is planning on upgrading all of our PC's From NT to XP later : >>this year but we are still running ProPDM 3.6. Is anyone running ProPDM on : >>Windows XP if so are there any performance problems I should know about. I : >>am unable to get this information from PTC as it is no longer a supported : >>product. : >>Thanks in advance for any info : >> : > : > Hello- : > : > We have a few XP systems that still have to use ProPDM. It works, but PTC : > won't offer any support if you run into problems. Even when they do offer : > support, its lame, so don't let this discourage the use of PDM on XP. : > : > Good Luck! : > PS : > : > :
Reply to
David Janes
PTC does seem to fiercely defend it's right to stay independent from big corporations pushing it around. -meld
David Janes wrote:
Reply to
meld_b
: > : Any truth to the rumor that Catapillar no longer uses PTC for data : > : management because of PTC's PDM support policy? Just curious... -meld : > : : > Caterpillar switched data management to UG iMAN in 2002. PTC apparently didn't : > take Cat's threat to switch very seriously. No XP at Cat, that I know of ~ HPUX or : > Win2k. : > : > David Janes : > :
: PTC does seem to fiercely defend it's right to stay independent from big : corporations pushing it around. -meld : I'll give them that. At the same time, they've always prided themselves in being customer driven, in enhancing the software with customer requested functionality. Kinda foolhardy, don't you think, to snub your biggest customer when they say they need continued support on software you're discontinuing, to ease the transition or whatever? In a later conversation with a PTC rep at a user group meeting, he admitted, when I told him I worked at Cat, that they'd dropped the ball or as he said 'they weren't ready'. Well, maybe, given all the trouble they were having with iMAN and Unigraphics shaky future, Cat will decide to go with Intralink. Bet they'd get a real good deal!
David Janes
Reply to
David Janes
David - Good points. I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that conversation... If the sales force stability is anything like it is for me, I dare say CAT already has a different sales rep than they had.
May I ask why you say Unigraphics has a shaky future?
My experience with IntraLink was pretty positive. I think the lesson learned was to send users and the administrator to the training to get it set up well. Is there some basic fundamental difference between Pro/PDM and Windchill/IntraLink?
-meld
David Janes wrote:
Reply to
meld_b