PDM/Works and software version control

I just had a conversation with a co-worker of mine who writes the software for our products. He uses version control software to document his changes. We were curious to see if anyone uses PDM/Works for software version control. Is there anyone out there? The developers of PDM/Works had to use some sort of revision control for thier code. They must have at least thought about it. Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Pete Yodis

Reply to
Pete Yodis

The only way I've seen people do this is by zipping up all the files associated with the programming project and managing the zip file. PDMW won't automatically pick up the relations between the files. You could create the relations manually, but... the simplest thing to do would be to manage the zip file.

Source Safe is commonly used for managing software.

matt

snipped-for-privacy@haroldbeck.com (Pete Yodis) wrote in news:a84087.0312030944.6e47dea0 @posting.google.com:

Reply to
matt

Pete,

Ditto to Matts suggestion on using zip files.

The only time manufacturing/engineering is interested in archiving software is during gate reviews, testing, or release of a product. Capturing the files used to do the tests, firmware used in production, etc... in PDM\Works means someone has the revision history of what was done. In additon, should the software need to be reloaded (system crash during testing -- never happens)anyone with access rights can reload the last approved version without having to go to the software department (who probably uses Visual Source Safe).

We've added an additional field called software revision (Client is using DBWorks)which allows us to cross reference the build code software types use versus the alpha numeric revision schema. Thus the zipped file is released to production at revision "A" while the embedded field tells the software types it is build 0099_293_92 or whatever they chose to use.

P.S. Same technique works for bundling and releasing ECAD files (PCB Board Gerber files, schematics, etc...) from the electrical department.

Cheers,

Len

Reply to
Len K. Mar