PDM Works - your opinion

Hi, I'm planning to purchase 4 PDM works seats but before doing so I would appreciate your opinion and sharing any experiences with implementation, best strategy, etc.

TIA Irek

My opinion may be somewhat biased by the fact that I implement PDMWorks for paying customers.

I think it is a fine departmental PDM app as long as you know what it is good for and what it is not good for.

First, don't get PDMWorks thinking that you are going to customize it and tie it to your MRP system. PDMW is flexible, but not very customizable.

If you are a big Oracle or SQL buff and want to write scripts, they won't do you any good with PDMW, since it does not run on a database. It uses several text files to store information

If your IT dept is looking for job security, PDMW can't provide much of that either. It is meant to be installed and administered by engineering users.

Don't expect to install this on a non-Windows server. The executables must reside on a win box.

No one is going to make a career out of PDMW unlike some of the high end pdm apps.

When you go to implement it, I think that it is well worth your time to get someone who has done other PDM implementations and knows PDMW cold. I'd be willing to donate my time if you can put up the air fare to Austrailia. :o)

Best of luck,

Matt

"I" wrote in news:4023ec18$0$5870$afc38c87 @news.optusnet.com.au:

Reply to
matt

After comparing all the low-end and mid-range PDM systems, including PDMWorks, I settled on DBWorks. I just felt that in the long run a system running on a database was going to grow with us, rather than limit us. Here, we run it on MSDE, which is a public-domain version of MS SQL. Since I've got some roots in corporate wide document management and SQL I was very comfortable with the choice. Out of the box DBWorks uses an Access database but we immediately converted to MSDE before even launching the software. It is very usable out of the box and can be customized thru scripts or the API or thru the VAR that sold it to you. I have it set up to query a user for a "file" name and it then automatically creates a file and if necessary a folder structure on the server based on the project/subproject/etc. I've shielded the users from having to navigate the server folders but by default you tell it where to put files and then it manages them. You can also have it name files automatically to further shield the user from file info but in our consulting business, that would be of little use when we have to turn over a project to the client. You wouldn't want to have to rename all the files so they could understand what's what. In our system, you just right-click a project, "zip all" and boom, ready for the client. If a client provides us with their part numbers, we can even rename each file so when they get the project it makes complete sense to them.

Have a look, it's quite good, And good luck!

http://62.101.95.130/mechworks/index.asp

- Eddy

"I" wrote in message news:4023ec18$0$5870$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Irek,

With PDMWorks you are pretty much locked into their way of doing things. There is not much you can configure.

The > Hi,

Reply to
kellnerp

I am not trying to contradict you. But there is a way to overwrite revisions if this is what you are talking about. In the admin side, there is an option that allows you to do all that stuff we were always told you ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO... :)

If that's not what you are referring to I'll be crawling back into my hole now.

Reply to
SBC

I think he was probably talking about taking out rev B and rolling back to rev A. Unless you're talking about deleting a part from the vault then putting it back in at an earlier rev, I don't know how to do it.

matt

"SBC" wrote in news:K9fWb.23527$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
matt

:)

I actually opened up the admin console this time instead of using my pathetically weak memory. The commands I'm thinking of are: Allow revision bumping and Allow revision overwrite.

The idea I was thinking of is, Someone checks a part into the vault, thinking it was mark as a working copy, but notices that it is now at the next revision level instead of working copy. With Revision bumping you can change the revision back to Working copy......

Reply to
SBC