PDM

We currently use SolidWorks & SmarTeam (PDM) along with Oracle. We will be phasing in and using Pro/E - Wildfire & Windchill over the next 3 years, therefore, below is a list of concerns I'm attempting to gather information on: Can/Does Windchill handle native SolidWorks files? If so, are there any restrictions or known problems? Does Windchill have any established hooks for Oracle?

I used Pro/E from 1989 till 1997: Has the basic workings of the software changed that much? Does it run on windows w/o a shell? Has the interface evolved at all to become more intuitive/user friendly?

Lastly, if I need to create parts, assemblies & drawings, do I need to purchase multiple modules or just one package?

I would really appreciate any feedback at all. Also, I do not perceive having any problems myself but I will be responsible for configuration, set-up, training, support & maintenance of 3 to 4 sites and approximately 100 users. So once again, all comments are welcome.

Reply to
Eddie

We currently use SolidWorks & SmarTeam (PDM) along with Oracle. We will be phasing in and using Pro/E - Wildfire & Windchill over the next 3 years, therefore, below is a list of concerns I'm attempting to gather information on: Can/Does Windchill handle native SolidWorks files? If so, are there any restrictions or known problems? Does Windchill have any established hooks for Oracle?

I used Pro/E from 1989 till 1997: Has the basic workings of the software changed that much? Does it run on windows w/o a shell? Has the interface evolved at all to become more intuitive/user friendly?

Lastly, if I need to create parts, assemblies & drawings, do I need to purchase multiple modules or just one package?

I would really appreciate any feedback at all. Also, I do not perceive having any problems myself but I will be responsible for configuration, set-up, training, support & maintenance of 3 to 4 sites and approximately 100 users. So once again, all comments are welcome. Positive answers to all the questions you raise is fundamental to deciding to migrate to Windchill PDMLink and Wildfire. If the decision's been made, I have to assume that these questions have already been answered. Since I've seen these migrations take place in a number of places, I'm also pretty confident that your management has contracted professional help from PTC to plan and execute the migration. You, as a major stakeholder, should have been deeply involved from Day One. However, whether you were or not, you very seriously need the name of someone at PTC to talk to to get straight, detailed answers to all these questions. This is a very large, very complicated operation we're talking about; you should not only be talking to PTC but be taking admin courses. There're nearly a dozen covering all aspects of the PLM which may, to some extent, be already familiar, conceptually, from your involvement with Teamcenter. As to the scale, let's be clear: Windchill PDMLink and ProjectLink are corporate software for controlling the creation, release and retirement of every piece of digital data that every individual in every group using any and every piece of software that's business related (outside of email) produce to direct production. It works conjointly with the MRP system and in one implementation scenario, takes the product structure directly from it. It includes a module for communicating and coordinating with the MRP system. In fact, the implementation scenarios are so varied and so configurable that a large-scale plan, with goals and bench marks, is required and one that's been established at the highest management levels with buy in from all the stake holders. So, what I'm saying, in short, is that this is all much too big, much too expensive, much too complex for casual conversation.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

snipped-for-privacy@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Eddie

.com... > We currently use SolidWorks & SmarTeam (PDM) along with Oracle. > We will be phasing in and using Pro/E - Wildfire & Windchill over the > next 3 years, therefore, below is a list of concerns I'm attempting to > gather information on:

Reply to
Janes