PDM Works Enterprise (Conisio) - Please post your expiriences

Hey

We are 25 engineers building machines for the graphic industry. Multiple people are working on the same projects at the same time, and we have build up an archive of 75.000 parts, assemblies and drawings. We havent been using any PDM system so far, but have a set of rules implementet to prevent overwriting existing parts/assemblies, so we take out a new number and copy the part and then makes changes to that "new" part. This way we have been able to work with out revisions.

We do however see the potential in using a PDM system, and have been looking at Conisio or PDM Works Enterprise as they renamed it, after SW bought it.

We would look at it as an investment, and therefor we need some sort of plan on how to save the money over time, by the functions within the program. The parametres we have that are meassure-able are loadtimes and the cost of making a new number in our system, which also has a cost.

Loadtimes: The main reason for wanting PDM is that we want to reduce loadtimes on our large assemblies, we have tried everything else, but it seems that SW have no intensions of making their program work for companies that works as ours, without PDM. To me is seems like a hustle... But I cant do anything about it. With PDMW Enterprise the loading into SW should be done locally (I was told it copies the files needed from the vault onto the local machine and then opens them from there). Which should easily cut our load times in half (we have loadtimes between 20 and 30 minutes on our larges assemblies - just ordered a 64-bit to get 8 gb of ram to actually be able to open the larger ones).

So what I am asking from all of you is to post your expiriences with Conisio/PDMW Enterprise, the pros and cons. Since I will be needing to put up a list of requirements for our VAR to be sure we will get a working system and not using a huge amount of money afterwards on consulting hours to make it work just because we didnt define it from the start.

Reply to
Ronni

I would have a good look at dbWorks. We are happy with it and it has greatly cut down on large assembly problems for us.

Reply to
TOP

I have had a look on it, and it looks the same as PDMW Enterprise/ Conisio. Our SW VAR have been selling Conisio for 5 years? And to be able to get support for it within DK it is our best choice I reckon.

But I am fairly sure its the same problems with similar PDM-systems.

We need =EDt to handle our ERP system aswell in some point, so limiting that transfer is one of the keys for it to work well for us.

When our VAR speaks about it, it sounds like its the best thing ever... so I just want some expiriences good or bad with implementing a PDM system. Cause its so much easier afterwards to see what you should have done.

Reply to
Ronni

We started using Conisio about 6 years ago with 200 licenses, and have been quite happy with it. But, we don't transfer out to ERP, nor do we use the workflow at this time so I can't speak to those issues.

If you have some specific questions, feel free to ask, or offline if you prefer.

WT

I have had a look on it, and it looks the same as PDMW Enterprise/ Conisio. Our SW VAR have been selling Conisio for 5 years? And to be able to get support for it within DK it is our best choice I reckon.

But I am fairly sure its the same problems with similar PDM-systems.

We need ít to handle our ERP system aswell in some point, so limiting that transfer is one of the keys for it to work well for us.

When our VAR speaks about it, it sounds like its the best thing ever... so I just want some expiriences good or bad with implementing a PDM system. Cause its so much easier afterwards to see what you should have done.

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Ask your var how PDMW Enterprise handles configurations.

We found DBWorks superior for this task.

Keith

I have had a look on it, and it looks the same as PDMW Enterprise/ Conisio. Our SW VAR have been selling Conisio for 5 years? And to be able to get support for it within DK it is our best choice I reckon.

But I am fairly sure its the same problems with similar PDM-systems.

We need ít to handle our ERP system aswell in some point, so limiting that transfer is one of the keys for it to work well for us.

When our VAR speaks about it, it sounds like its the best thing ever... so I just want some expiriences good or bad with implementing a PDM system. Cause its so much easier afterwards to see what you should have done.

Reply to
Keith Streich

keith,

do you use local checkout mode?

kenneth

Reply to
kenneth

top,

do you use local checkout mode?

kenneth

Reply to
kenneth

We do "checkout" which copies data from the network to our "local" machine and locks out anyone else attempting changes to the same files. I don't believe this is referred to as "local checkout", just checkout, and there are numerous other files status which can be applied. We do not have the upper tier version which allows a checkout for portable (home) work.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

If all you want is a vault with revision control, check in and out privilages etc, and not the work flow functionality then PDMworks comes for free with SW Professional.

Steve R

Reply to
Steve Reinisch

Ronni,

dbWorks is a European program with a good support network. I am not so sure that Conisio can handle configurations as well as dbWorks, if at all. I know in Germany there is a very strong user base.

dbWorks is very strong on ERP integration. That depends of course on what ERP system you have. You need to have a plan going in and know exactly what it is that you want to do.

Your VAR should be able to give you several references which you can contact. You want to evaluate your VARs ability to support as well as the software, because that is just as important.

Reply to
TOP

No, we have a blazing fast network. Keeping the files on the server allows SW to view the latest changes.

Reply to
TOP

Make sure the X64 bit version of SW works the way you want it to. For example, last time I checked PDMWorks was NOT recompiled to work with X64 bit SW. Is anyone using a 3rd party PDM add-in running true 64 bit instead of

32 bit WOW emulation?"

I know of one other PDM that has just converted (can't remember which one off hand).

Len

Reply to
lmar

SP3.0 introduced x64 for PDMWE. But it also forces everyone to be running XP - 2000 will not run any more.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Is there a list of resellers for europe?

Support-wise: where do you have some preferences?

How is it prized compared to PDWE ?

Reply to
Ronni

Look at:

Germany, Poland, Netherlands and Italy.

Reply to
TOP

For a while, our support was coming from D2M3,

and they did a good job.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Anyone have some expiriences building up the vault with a large amount of existing parts/drawings/assemblies ??

Reply to
Ronni

Yup,

If you didn't have any kind of plan prior to PDM you will have a lot of work to do.

Check for duplicate part numbers/file names. Try to get your custom properties consistent if you are using them with PDM. Make sure you have a system before you start.

Reply to
TOP

Replying, bumping and adding :-)

We are making the "plan" atm, havent bought anything yet and we are clear on having to be very certain on what we want before buying it.

Also the price seems to be a factor here, at least I can see that the licenses alone, a PDMWE licens cost 3 times more than a dbWorks license. But also being aware that thats only a part of the cost. Getting it to work afterwards is probably the main cost. They claim to be able to integrate it quite fast (below 20 work days, which sounds in the lower end).

Would like to know, how many days you reseller had their people at your place to make it work, and how that compares to what they promised beforehand.

Reply to
Ronni