Useability of PDM Works - comment invited

Hi all,

We are about to embark on using PDM Works. Before we jump can I invite feedback please from existing users. How useful do you find it? Is it much of a burden in respect of time? What benefits do you think it brings? What about server requirements i.e. vault space? Any further comments of course invited!

Thanks

Reply to
Flynt

PDMW is pretty easy to use, and doesn't require a lot of maintenance overhead. Part of the reason for that is that it doesn't use a real database, it's a system of flat text files where the information is stored. The advantage of that is that you don't need separate licenses of Access, Oracle, Fox Pro, etc or even a database administrator. It's meant to be administered by a user.

Disk space depends on how you set it up, how much you use it and how big your files are. Each revision is stored as a separate file, and there are settings that duplicate the latest versions, and ways of saving incremental revisions which can cause vault size to balloon. It also depends on how much existing or legacy data you want to bring into the vault.

Disk space is cheap unless you get carried away with a raid array. Backup is of course recommended. Moving the vault later is easy to do without a PhD in computer science. Average working vaults go between

20-50 Gb.

Good Luck,

Matt

matt

Hi Flynt,

Just my 2 cents worth, Don't!

I haven't tried any other PDM software, but going by the trouble I am having at the moment, I would suggest that you get a demo using your own documents.

I have been using Pdmworks for just over two years and from day one, it's been a pain in the butt. Even after having my var set it up it's as slow as a dead donkey.

My hardware was to blame , then my software, so I brought new hardware and software and it runs even slower! lol

Solidworks is great, its the add-ons that kill it!

So before I get flamed, I offer this challenge, prove me wrong, remote my pc and see if you can see what's wrong! Even with a webex, the answer I got from my var was, "It shouldn't be that slow!" PMSL.

My var are due to re-look at my NEW expensive setup on the 16th November, (yes I have to wait that long!), I will update everyone then.

Have a nice day! :-)

Reply to
pete

I found that using an xp box for vault greatly enhances performance. Gains (just short of instantaneous) are most evident when changing ownership, status and projects.

Reply to
remy martin

Hi Remy, I am using three XP Pro SP2 boxes 1Gb networked. Two Amd x2 4800 4Gb ram pci express 3400 74Gb raptor sata drive and one Compaq Intel 2.8 2Gb ram 2x 120Gb Sata drives in raid1 for the vault. Solidworks Office Professional 2006 SP0.0 Sigh!

Reply to
pete

Hi Pete

There were quite a few threads on the SolidWorks Forum regarding slow performance in SWX2006 if you haven't already read them it may be worth a look.

John Layne

John Layne

All this just makes me think every SoliWorks VAR ought to have a demo Server they have set up with umpteen gigs of 'dummy' files of generic stuff and some higher level assemblies, and they ought to have to bring it out to YOUR OFFICE, since you are proposing to give them money for a product, and they ought to be able to show that product working in YOUR ENVIRONMENT before you plunk down the hard earned cash.

I am sick of software being sold first & then problems addressed with an "oh, well, maybe you can try something else" attitude AFTER the VAR has got his hands on the money.

It is about time the VARs should have to "Put Up or Shut Up".

  1. Bring in the pre-configured server
  2. Loaded with the PDMWorks or whatever
  3. Demo actual use conditions on a portion of the user's system (or isolated test setup duplicates).
  4. Offer to sell the server with PDM works configured AFTER THE REAL WORLD DEMO.

Bo

Reply to
Bonobo

Must be an aura present that your boxes don't like. :D

Seriously though, magnetic interferences can wreak havoc on LAN cables.

We have on obsolete vault on a 2003 Server, that vault runs a few clicks above snail speed.

Also, login on our xp vault takes about 1.5sec.

Reply to
remy martin

Thanks guys I will look into both.

Reply to
pete

Ok by removing Pdmworks as an Add-in, Solidworks 2006 sp0.0 works like a dream, so you may be correct about the network side. I will investigate further.

Reply to
pete

PDMWorks sure beats the hell out of managing the files your self. I think it is a great tool to manage Solidworks files and other production files.

I would suggest getting as much memory as possible for your vault. Each revision is a copy of the original. The vault can get very huge, very soon. At my place we had 260 GB vault.

Reply to
Drew

Read "magnetic interferences" as electrical. Hopefully your LAN cables aren't strapped to some conduit or junction boxes. ;)

Reply to
remy martin