Considering switching from Smarteam to Adept or Activault, advice or comments?

We are considering switching from Smarteam to Adept or Activault for our SW file mgt. Anyone have any advice or comments on switching to one of those packages??

BACKGROUND INFO: =================================================================== We are a current Smarteam user with Solidworks. We have decided to replace Smarteam.

We have also reviewed Product Center, PDM Works, Conisio. Product Center -- felt too much like Smarteam PDM Works -- we liked the interface a lot, but we need remote access, and were nervous about potential problems with: the number of users we have, complexity of our models, volume of data we have to manage Conisio -- it seemed too new, we did not have any luck getting references through our VAR, foreign company (i.e., potential support issues -- like Smarteam), it's more than what we need

Company info:

12-15 designers/eng's using Solidworks Additional 20+ need to view drawings Machine design and mfg company (seafood processing, typical 500 unique parts in a model, 1000-2000 total parts)

Main requirements for SW PDM: Vault Revision control Assist with multiple users working on the same model Other requirements: Non-proprietary database for exporting info to inventory mgt program Need remote access -- viewing and check in/release Needs to be easy to use, easy to learn, low training costs Minimal bugs/problem Easy annual upgrades Minimal/no need for consultants Good support from manufacturer, fast response to bugs/issues

Reply to
bb007

You should look at DBWorks... It handles everything in the above and can import your smarteam data!

Reply to
jeffery

We're looking to add a PDM system this year. I'm curious as to why you're switching away from Smarteam? What's the problem with it?

Thanks, Christine

Reply to
Christine

"I'm curious as to why you're switching away from Smarteam? What's the problem with it?"

- Many issues/problems over the past 5 yrs

- Not user friendly

- To many workarounds to get something to work right

- Expensive - purchase/maintain/upgrade/customize

- We only use about 20% of what the software can do

- Poor support

- To many middle men (Support Consultant->Reseller->Smarteam)

Reply to
bb007

We used Activault until Manufacturing decided that they wanted more of a PLM system and switched to ProductCenter. We didn't need remote access, so I don't know how well Activault handles it, if at all. We're a smaller company, only three designers at the time, so there could be some issues with size, but I kind of doubt it. SolidPartners is also a pretty small company, which has its upside and downside. Other than that, I would say that Activault should fulfill your other requirements.

Jerry Steiger

We have tested all of the above and were in the same boat with SmarTeam. We struggled with SmarTeam for almost 4 years. Two months ago, we made a switch to an awesome system (which you have mentioned above) after testing them all. Email me if you would like some details. snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Reply to
mhk-1