Since there isnt any Smarteam group (that i know of, please post if
there is), here are some questions ill post here.
1. Why when you checkout a model, assy, or drawing it copies
everything, including EVERY drawing for every model and sub-assy in a
2. Why when you checkin or release a drawing, it goes through the
entire assy(s) that are on the drawing. If you just change a note,
why does all this have to happen? VERY SLOW!!
3. If there are settings for the above, can we set them off?
4. Can we implement the automatic titleblock easily?
5. Why do I have to manually choose the designer and engineer fields
when creating a number in Smarteam? These should be defaulted to
whoever is logged into the current computer. (ex. my username, jblow,
can be used to automattically choose myself as the designer, and jdoe
as the Engineer).
6. Can we use "Lightweight" parts with the current Smarteam?
7. Can you have the most up-to-date assy ALWAYS have the most
up-to-date models linked to it, no matter if someone did or didnt
choose "Link to previous revision"? It doesn't make sense that
someone would want an old model in the most up-to-date assy. Please
explain if im wrong.
8. Can we have the most-up-to-date model/drawing linked to each other
ALWAYS? This doesnt make any sense why you wouldnt want the most
up-to-date model with the current drawing. Please explain if im
9. Why is there a view and work dir? Can we only use 1 directory?
Sometimes when I view a assy, some files go into the view dir and some
go into the work. Also, if im working on a top level assy, and
someone else updates a sub-assy, and i want to update the sub-assy, i
would then suppress the sub-assy, then copy the updated sub-assy, then
unsuppress it. This works most of the time, but sometimes the copied
file goes into the view dir, whereas the other copy is in the work dir
(old copy). I then have to suppress the sub-assy, then delete both
files from work and view. then copy the updated sub-assy again. It
would be easier if you could right-click a part or assy, and choose
"Update to existing file" or something like that.
10. This doesn't happen often, but at least once a week. Sometimes
when I goto check-in a drawing, the Smarteam window pops up, but its
VERY small, about the size of the X box in the corner of the window.
I then have to drag the window and make it bigger. It doesn't seem
like Smarteam remembers the previous window size like most windows
based programs do. I've even seen cases where the Smarteam window
doesn't even show up on the screen, but its in the taskmanager has
being loaded. When I click around on the screen, I get a "Server
Busy" message. You also get this message when the window is very
small like described above, but it goes away when you resize the
window and click "OK".
11. How can you use Toolbox parts with Smarteam? Is it possible to
create a library outside of Smarteam for parts that never change, ie.
screws, spacers, etc? This would allow you to use Toolbox, but when
you checkin an assy that uses these parts, Smarteam would recognize it
as a toolbox part, and not check it in. You could also have the parts
in Smarteam, but Smarteam would have to know not try and save the
parts when checking an assy in.