Have questions

I had some of these made for me. I want to reproduce them to the best of my ability. Curious as to how these were pressed out or what I could use or purchase to duplicate these. I know it started as a piece of rectangle aluminum and were pressed to form. Then, a square hole was punched in the middle. Any ideas on the process here? I have a small garage shop and cant go purchase some thousand dollar machine. I searched on the web some and saw these things called "fly presses" that use a weighted wheel and a long threaded shaft that create heavy downward force.

Pics at

Mike Hardy

What's the thickness of the stock? Overall size of the part?

If you are talking about a press with a motor driven flywheel, large screw from the crankshaft to adjust ram height etc. be very careful, most of the older ones don't have a hydraulic overload system. Bad things can happen in a hurry with the ram height set too low and no overload.

Jim Kovar Vulcan, Mi

Reply to
Jim

How I would do this depends a lot on how many I needed. If I just needed a few I'd make up a male/female die setup for my bench vise wherein I put the aluminum rectangle in, crank in the vise, crank out the vise and remove the part, etc. To punch a square hole in aluminum doesn't take that much force. You can make or buy a square punch in the size you need and fix it to the end of a ram on a cheap arbor press and you can make up a fitting to hold the die on the table of the arbor press.

This piece looks eminently suitable for high speed production. But I doubt you want to make a million of them.

Grant

Mike Hardy wrote:

Reply to
Karen Story