Colchester Student Mk 1 - some questions

Evening all (well it is here :-)).
I've got a Mk1 Colchester Student lathe.
Just been cutting thread on a bit of bar with a left-hand die, and to do
this I reversed the motor so that it ran backwards. In this case, it was a
short, easy job at very low speed, so I wasn't worried about damaging the
machine.
However, it got me to wondering whether or not it *is* OK to run the Student
backwards - if so, it'd be a relatively simple job to arrange switchgear to
reverse the motor, rather than crawling around under the back of the machine
moving wires and links about.
The chuck is pretty unlikely to come undone, and I don't think anything else
in the drive train is threaded on and therefore likely to come loose.
On the same subject - anyone know of any spares for this machine? I'm
looking for among other things the tool for undoing the chuck (American
L-zero fitting, looks like it should be a sod-off C spanner) and also the
internal parts of the brake, which are missing.
Reply to
Austin Shackles
damaging the
switchgear to
anything else
loose.
(American
Austin,
No problem reversing the Student - the L0 fitting is ok for reversing due to the key on the taper. There is a Yahoo group for Colchester Lathes
- you have to register, and the moderator is sometimes rather slow doing his bit but lots of useful information.
ps have you escaped from the Landrover list !!!!
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
On or around Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:05:34 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson" enlightened us thusly:
hehe. Nah, I'm still there as well.
I'll have a hunt for a suitable DPDT switch. Luckily, we're on single phase here so it's not too many connections to shunt around to reverse it.
All it needs then is a decent sized motor. Currently has a 1.5HP, which is not really enough - ISTR the student originally had a 3HP motor.
Reply to
Austin Shackles
They came with both 3-phase and single phase motors, but since the Student MK I was intended for home/small shop use 3 HP sounds pretty big.
Aust> All it needs then is a decent sized motor. Currently has a 1.5HP, which is > not really enough - ISTR the student originally had a 3HP motor.
Reply to
Mike Berger
The Colchester Student was NEVER intended for home use !!!!!!
Schools, colleges and aprentice training schools yes. Small shop yes.
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Why would you want to make LH threads by reversing the lathe? You just reverse the feed and cut left to right, at least that's how I do it. Bugs
Reply to
Bugs
On or around Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:00:34 -0600, Mike Berger enlightened us thusly:
the 1.5 on it won't actually run it at maximum (1200) speed. Not enough starting torque to accelerate it. It also won't start at speeds over 500 until it's been running for a while and has gotten warm. Long term, I want a 3HP motor and a bigger starter switch - this one has an 8.summat amp cutout, which is fine once running but if you try to start it from cold in too high a gear it cuts out before it's up to speed.
Reply to
Austin Shackles
On or around 14 Dec 2005 06:34:01 -0800, "Bugs" enlightened us thusly:
if you read the original post more closely, I was using an LH die in a dieholder in the tailstock chuck. This is an 8M1.25 thread on an 8mm bar.
I agree that in general it should be possible to cut LH threads as you describe, with a suitable tool or chaser, but I doubt it'd be easy to get a decent result on the 8mm bar.
for cutting threads on a large job, I'd do it as you describe.
Reply to
Austin Shackles
The names "Student" and "Master" (of both the Mk. 1 and Mk. 2 designations) refer, in effect, to the centre height and bed length - the Student being 6" x 24" and the Master 6.5" x 30" - for, in all other respects, the lathes were identical. As standard, for the home market, both lathes were fitted with a dual English/metric screwcutting gearbox but a cheaper "Dominion" model was also offered that had an English-only screwcutting gearbox (though with two additional pitches of 11.5 and 23 tpi), a
Andrew Maws> The Colchester Student was NEVER intended for home use !!!!!!
Reply to
Mike Berger
length -
market,
gearbox
English-only
Mike,
Missunderstanding of English phrases here !!!!! "Home Market" is a term we use for selling into the UK as opposed to "Overseas Market" and does not refer to selling to homes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (what a lovely thought garden/backyard lorry/truck got/gotten lift/elevator - two countries divided by a common lanuage)
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
On or around Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:55:48 -0600, Mike Berger enlightened us thusly:
yeah, but "home market" in this context refers to machines intended for the UK, as opposed to overseas.
Reply to
Austin Shackles
According to Andrew Mawson :
[ ... ]
Hmm ... here (USA) a backyard may *contain* a garden, or even *be* a garden.
The difference (for us) is between an area for general use and one specifically dedicated to the growing of cultivated plants -- either food plants or flowers.
Enjoy, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols